JMP Review

Discuss general thoughts on the Jointmaker Pro.

Moderator: Michael

JMP Review

Postby Michael » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:29 pm

For an amazingly in depth review of the Jointmaker, check out Roger Savaterri's review over on the Festool Owner's Group:

http://festoolownersgroup.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=6b5dac4aaa507aec81f0243516f5b1fd&topic=3889.0
Michael
Site Admin

jointmaker pro

Postby User304602 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:34 pm

This is an excellent review. If I had not already ordered one, it certainly would have convinced me to order a jointmaker pro. Honestly, I've read a lot of comments from people arguing that the jointmaker pro is way overpriced. I beg to disagree. Most of us have spent at least several hundred dollars for devices that can do only one thing (the Domino & the Lion Miter Trimmer are good examples in my own case). Additionally, many of us have spent additional hundreds (thousands!) for handsaws, planes, etc. (at least I have) that we (or at least me) do not yet have the skill to fully utilize. It seems to me that one could easily spend multiple thousands buying tools that are excellent at doing one thing and still not get all of the capability the jointmaker pro promises. (I'll of course see if it delivers on that promise after I take delivery.)

The jointmaker pro looks like a gadget that will do all kinds of different things with extreme precision and without complicated jigging and setups. It may not be the thing for shop doing large multiples, but for the home hobbyist or shop doing more one-off stuff, this looks like a tremendous time-saver. Plus, it looks like the thing will deliver on a consistent basis the sort of precision that I have often dreamed of, but do not always (seldom?) achieve.

No doubt something that looks like the jointmaker pro could (and I am certain will) be produced at about 1/3 to 1/2 the current price. But doing so would preculde doing the machining and using the high quality components that make for precision, durability, and a satisfactory experience. So then the darned knock-off won't really work at all well & you'll have just wasted the hundreds you plopped down for it. Believe me, I've made this kind of mistake more than once. In my real life, when not butchering wood, I am a Professor in a Business School, and I've studied/taught manufacturing and operations management for over 30 years. The title of one popular business book a number of years ago was "Qualilty is Free". Take it from me, the title of the book is a damned lie! Quality does cost---it's just that lack of quality usually costs far more.

Finally, wasn't it Tage Frid who remarked that he didn't care whether you did the furniture with power tools, hand tools, or gnawed it out with your teeth---so long as the end result was good, he didn't care much how it was achieved. The jointmaker pro may not easily fit into the traditional hand tools versus power tools dichotomy, but who cares?

Thanks for the innovation, John!
User304602

The Jointmaker Pro Moving Forward...

Postby John » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:18 pm

After almost two years of R&D, the Jointmaker Pro will begin arriving in the homes and shops of the early adopters within the coming weeks.

I remember my feelings back when I was a studio furniture maker after I finished a piece--simultaneous relief and anxiety. This project is very similar.

For us, what is going to come next is really important, and that is the experiences of our users who I hope use this forum to share. What I do know from my travels to Europe, Japan and the US demonstrating the Jointmaker Pro is that the ability to do gallery quality work in an environment that is conducive to music has enormous appeal.

We have taken a lot of arrows regarding this tool and I was recently reminded by somebody much smarter than me, that all great ideas are "disruptive" in the early phases of development. I sure hope that is the case with the JMP!

We have done our best to deliver a reliable and elegant product. We are not perfect and invite all comments to make this a better tool.

So, I sincerely thank all of you early birds and trust you will keep us and your fellow users informed of your experiences--this forum can be a great resource for all of us.

--John Economaki
John
Site Admin

suggested improvement to JMP

Postby User303458 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:39 pm

I've had my JMP for a few months now, and I think it is a wonderful tool! The only thing that I have really wished for is two stamped wrenches for locking in the depth of cut. I'd use the pair that came with my router if they were the right size! Regular wrenches are a bit too thick, and the thinner wrenches available elsewhere seemed a bit pricey.

I'm still VERY satisfied with the JMP!
User303458

Postby John » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:42 pm

You know, we should have thought of this. We can get wrenches laser cut that will fit the bill perfectly. Thanks for the comments, we will fix this!

John
John
Site Admin

Return to Jointmaker Pro General Questions