precision fence on blue jointmaker

Moderator: Michael

precision fence on blue jointmaker

Postby Onevw@aol.com » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:19 pm

I have a original blue Jointmaker and wish to modify my table slides to accept the precision fence. I have access to an advanced machining center. I do not know what needs to be changed for the original Jointmaker (blue one) so it will accept the precision fence.

If someone has the new fence and has looked at this, please comment and if possible send some pictures of how it mounts to the updated Jointmaker.

Rick
Onevw@aol.com

Re: precision fence on blue jointmaker

Postby rwest » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:10 pm

Hi Rick,

I see on the precision fence page it says only works on the V2 version. I have a precision fence on a first version, but it has the upgraded rails and linear bearings. I dug out my old tables and slides and the fence mounting slots are in the same location on the old table and new version. My only thought might be that the mounting bolts are thicker than the table and might hit the front plate when pushed forward.

I would suggest calling Bridge City and asking why. If it is bolt interference, I would think that grinding the bolt heads flatter or spacing the tables higher might do the trick.

Rutager
rwest

Postby Onevw@aol.com » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:29 pm

Hello

Many thanks for the info. I ordered a fence and thinking I can make it work. I have access to machining equipment so I could just make new plates if necessary but it sounds like i may be able to just modify the old plates.

I am also looking into fabricating new custom slides using “openbuild” technology just for the fun of it.

http://openbuildspartstore.com
Rick

I did call Bridge city Tools and ask the question but the response was just "will not work” they did-not have an interest to talk about it.
Onevw@aol.com

Postby rwest » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:44 pm

Rick,

I take it your fence hasn't arrived yet? If you want, I could reinstall my old slides, tables and try and mount the fence and determine what the promblem(s) might be. Let me know, I could do it in the next day or two, just a couple screws and bolts.

Rutager
rwest

Postby Onevw@aol.com » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:19 pm

rwest wrote:Rick,

I take it your fence hasn't arrived yet? If you want, I could reinstall my old slides, tables and try and mount the fence and determine what the promblem(s) might be. Let me know, I could do it in the next day or two, just a couple screws and bolts.

Rutager

No fence, they are planning delivery in Dec. 2017. It looks like they are on my work schedule. If you wish to do that it would be much appreciated for me and ma bee for others on this forum. As you know the upgrade kits are not available and they have no plans to produce them again.

Only do this if its quick and easy with minimum adjustments.

Rick
Onevw@aol.com

Postby rwest » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:22 pm

Hi Rick,

Well, couldn't find any reason it won't work! I mounted my old left side rails and slides and then mounted the fence. The old table sits at the same height as the new version, although the linear bearings give the table about an inch more travel-nothing to do with the fence, just how the two systems are arraigned.

I tried cuts at both 90 and 45 degrees with no blade interference.

Took a couple pictures, but they didn't seem to post correctly.

Rutager
Attachments
IMG_0836.JPG
IMG_0836.JPG
rwest

Postby rwest » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:46 pm

I'll leave the old slides on for a bit in case anybody has another test we should do.
rwest

Postby Onevw@aol.com » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Hello Rutager

You are a super person for spending the the time and effort to get this info to all of us. I am new to the Jointmaker and just got it adjusted and tuned up and am now getting some great cuts.

I will have to wait till Dec. to enjoy the fence.

I live in northern Colorado on the front range as they call it and we are getting into our perfect spring weather so now heat needed in my shop.

Again Thanks Thanks Thanks

If I can be of help someday let me know.

Rick
Onevw@aol.com

Postby rwest » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:13 pm

You're welcome Rick,

Always fun to try things out; usually end up learning new things as well.

We don't get a lot of posting here, but what we do get is very high quality, please share any tips or cool stuff you end up doing with your saw.

Best,
Rutager
rwest

Postby Onevw@aol.com » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:59 pm

Rwest

You still out there?

This is Rick (onevw) we talked about the precision fence on the Blue JMP one year ago.

Rick
Onevw@aol.com

Postby rwest » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:29 pm

Hi Rick,

Yup, still here!

I usually check the forum every few days.

Best,
Rutager
rwest

Postby Onevw@aol.com » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:07 pm

rwest wrote:Hi Rick,

Yup, still here!

I usually check the forum every few days.

Best,
Rutager

Hello Rutager

I got my fence last week.

I got it mounted to the old system by making a new bridge. The new bridge needed to be shorter.
I will post a some pic’s of the shorter bridge. I just made it out of some common aluminum using my drill press and common drills and one flat mill.
Onevw@aol.com

Postby rwest » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:36 am

I didn’t think to try using both fences together, good thing it was a somewhat easy fix. The other thing I thought about was if the two fences together will angle? On the normal set up, you only use two of the fence mounting bolts and it will angle properly. Have you tried that yet?
rwest

Postby Onevw@aol.com » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:19 pm

Which bolts need removed to tilt fence 45 degree
Onevw@aol.com

Postby rwest » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:49 pm

It’s the two levers closet to the blade that you remove then you just use the two others to lock the fence at an angle; make sure the fence clears the blade path.
rwest

Return to Precision Fence Questions