My JMP stand

Post your ideas for creating specialty jigs and fixtures.

Moderator: Michael

My JMP stand

Postby bulldog54 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:39 pm

I finally got my JMP mounted. I got in my head that a fine hand tool needed a hand made stand. So here is mine. All surfaces (except the MDF) are hand planned and the mortises are hand cut and pegged. It is really rock solid. I hope you can see it here
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment. ... 1239221867

GeorgeImage
Last edited by bulldog54 on Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bulldog54

Postby John » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:02 pm

George;

One has to be a member of Sawmill Creek to see your stand--this would be an issue for some.

Do your images reside on the Sawmill Creek site? If so, you should be able to do the following;

1. Right click on the image
2. You should see an option "Copy Image Location", click this option.
3. In the BCTW forum you can edit your original post--click the Img option in the post window..this will insert [img] (this is located at the top in a gray rectangle)
4. Next hit Ctrl-v, this will paste the location of your image right behind the [img]
5. Next hit the Img choice at the top again and this will insert [Img/]
6. You should be able to select preview to see that your image is viewable here.
7. Repeat if you have more than one image.

(It's a pain in the you know what but this is how it is done)

Hopefully this will work and we can all see your efforts!

John
John
Site Admin

My JMP stand

Postby bulldog54 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:08 am

I am pretty new to this photo posting business but I am learning. I am taking a class in html and this is a website used to perform lessons so most is not relevant here, however I did post a picture of the JMP stand. I hope you can see it and I thank everyone for looking. I am just a carpenter after all.

Try looking here: http://www.geocities.com/carpetguy54/

George
bulldog54

Postby John » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:32 am

George;

Your stand looks great--did you use your JMP to cut any of the joints?

Thanks for sharing--

--John
John
Site Admin

Postby bulldog54 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:41 am

John

Thank you. Yes I used the JMP to cut the tenon cheeks. The angles were making me nuts! The stand is canted about 5 degrees from bottom to top and front front to back and the top slants at about 12 degrees (4"). I decided that it was not really important what the exact angle was as much as all angles needed to be the same. So I set the fences using a sliding bevel and a stop block to set the distance from the end. One pass and perfect 5 degree tenon cheeks. I cut the rest of the tenon with a hand saw. A bridge city saw to be exact. This was a bridge city project I think I used all of my bevels, rulers and squares. I even eased the edges on all surfaces with the multi plane. Thanks for looking.

George
bulldog54

Postby John » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:50 am

George;

Your comment regarding the angles made me smile--the stand we designed consists of 12 unique parts--not one duplicate. So I know what you went through. Actually, Michael really knows what you went through, he designed the stand.

Back in the early 70's I learned a trick from Sam Maloof regarding compound joinery that I will never forget--and that is don't bother trying to figure them out. I learned an empirical method--in your case, fix the front and back legs in space with temporary fixtures and use the leg faces as a references. It may not make sense here, and it really makes sense when you see it--there are no calculations.

It is one of those "rubber meets the road" solutions that gets the job done.

Anyway, congrats on your project.

--John
John
Site Admin

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:33 am

John. that would be 16 unique parts...not 12... Yes I feel your pain with compound angles. It is a challenge!

Great looking stand!
Michael
Site Admin

Return to Jointmaker Pro Jig/Fixtures Accessories Idea Bank