Table Top holes

Post your ideas for creating specialty jigs and fixtures.

Moderator: Michael

Table Top holes

Postby Michael » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:35 am

There are many holes drilled into the two orange table tops. These holes are threaded for 8-32 screws. Feel free to use these holes for making jigs and accessories. You can also drill them out bigger if you want a different configuration. Same goes for the Front and Rear plate holes along the edges.

My only advice is that you make sure the tables do not flex if you tighten down a board or clamp. Flexing a table can cause the tension in the sliders to change making for a very tough day in the shop. We discovered this when we used a traditional cam hold-down clamp to hold some wood to the table. The clamp flexed the table and made it impossible to use. This is how/why we came up with the Trap Clamps.
Michael
Site Admin

Postby Dennis » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:03 am

This is very good information. I have some "averse reaction" to taking a drill to my JMP though. I appreciate the "heads up" on distorting the tables - I hadn't really thought of that. One very simple thing I did was take off the rear fence and replace it with a longer version (in my case a 4 ft. fence) to saw out box miters from a single board. I was trying to make the boxes with the minimum amount of waste at the miter joint to allow for grain match. this worked very well. without the long fence, there was a real tendency for the cut to bind and I was not getting a smooth cut. After the extended fence, PERFECT joints which have the best grain match I have ever done. I also found a couple of (one bolt to fasten to table and manual rotating cushioned threaded clamp down to table) in my junk drawer which really worked well to hold the long boards tight to the table. These would be a good addition to the JMP line. They are like right angle (triangular shaped) aluminum pieces which can pivot from the connection point and have a hold down attached.

DJ
Dennis

Postby John » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:20 am

DJ;

When you get a chance can you post some pics of your set-up?

--John
John
Site Admin

Return to Jointmaker Pro Jig/Fixtures Accessories Idea Bank