Bias Jigs For Wooden Fence from JMP Class

Post your ideas for creating specialty jigs and fixtures.

Moderator: Michael

Bias Jigs For Wooden Fence from JMP Class

Postby rwest » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:32 am

Hello,

This is a long overdue post from the class I took at Marc Adams school this April, taught by John Economaki on the JMP. The purpose of the class was to take our skills to a higher level and show us techniques to make our saws work as well as possible. John had us working on a chess set that he designed and was challenging to build. Our first assingnment was building the following jigs to hold pieces for cutting on the bias as well as straight on with the blade tilted to 45 degrees.
Bias Jig 002.JPG
Bias Jig 002.JPG (33.69 KiB) Viewed 2641 times

The jigs are fairly simple; composed of 1/4" thick x 3 1/2" tall x 14" long Masonite boards with either 3/4" or 8/4" hardwood blocks attached at 90 degrees to the bottom edge; it is very important to get them glued on at 90 so you get an accurate cut.
Bias Jig 003.JPG
Bias Jig 003.JPG (33.75 KiB) Viewed 2641 times

Cut a clearance "V" in each Masonite board, exact size isn't as important as making sure the blade clears the board; on the large jig, my "V" is 4" across and 3" high at the center; the small one is:1 1/2" across and 1" high. The holding block are about eight inches long at the begining and after the "V" is cut out you slice off the top 2 1/2" to make the clamp block. The "V" size on the big block is: 1 1/8" x 3/8" high; small block is: 7/16" x 1/4". after you slice the top off, use wood glue and a clamp to attach the pieces together; once again, use an accurate square to keep everything 90.
Bias Jig 004.JPG
Bias Jig 004.JPG (32.74 KiB) Viewed 2641 times

Here's a photo of the jig being used with the offcut piece used to clamp the wood tightly in the block. Blade is at 45 degrees.
Fuchs, Wing cut MA 008.JPG
Fuchs, Wing cut MA 008.JPG (45.73 KiB) Viewed 2641 times

As time allows, I have several other jigs, set ups and techniques to post.

-Rutager
rwest

Return to Jointmaker Pro Jig/Fixtures Accessories Idea Bank