Multi-purpose Fence

Post your ideas for creating specialty jigs and fixtures.

Moderator: Michael

Multi-purpose Fence

Postby rwest » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:35 pm

Hello,

I wanted to make a fence that could work as a platform to easily attach many different fixtures and accessories to quickly and solidily. I decided that a few "T"-slots would work well. I made a new fence from poplar and milled the dovetail slot in the same spot as the factory. and milled a couple of "T" slots on the face side.

I also milled some baltic birch plywood with the same slots on top, and a third on the bottom. I used that to make a 90 degree holding fixture for tenon work and other 90 degree uses. I found that I needed to make a slot on the piece that sits on the table, to keep it from lifting as the stock is cut.

Here's another view:

I also made a stop block that easily attaches to the fence. Not shown, but on the other side of this block, I drove a small screw in that I can adjust in and out to achieve a perfect thickness when I cut inlay strips.

This has worked very well for me; I plan on making a toggle clamp attachment for the 90 fence to hold tenons even easier then using small clamps. I also want to make a multi-stop stop block, and I'm also thinking about attaching an aluminum "T" track to the top edge, that would allow me to place flip stops for the 90 deg. fixture.

-Rutager
rwest

Postby neilc » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:47 pm

Very nice set of jigs Rutager. Just found this after you mentioned it while we were in Cincinnati.

neil
neilc

Postby PFranks » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:45 am

After having used the JMP at the WIA, I finally understand your fence system, Rutager. Very cool. I can see how useful it would be. For, say, bridle joints...
PFranks

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:36 pm

That's what I'm talking about! Nice work Rutager!

Way to think outside the box! The JMP, as well as the DJ-1, are starting points for you guys to customize. There are so many things that can be done with both of those tools, (like, for instance, sticking the DJ-1 up to the ceiling.... with vacuum power nonetheless..you nut!)

Thanks for posting, it is great to see.
Michael
Site Admin

Postby rwest » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:30 pm

Thanks Guys,

I have a few cool attachments that I need to build still, but this fence makes it easy to set things up.

Michael,

It's hard to argue with the nut comment! Truthfully though, The main purpose of the vac jig is to place a drill point on a large piece of stock, and I've used it several times with great success.

You're welcome on the postings, but I think these might be the last, as John talked me into buying a RC helicopter! Just kidding, I think I can resist full blown helicopter addiction!

-Rutager
rwest

Return to Jointmaker Pro Jig/Fixtures Accessories Idea Bank