Jigs

Post your ideas for creating specialty jigs and fixtures.

Moderator: Michael

Jigs

Postby BobStrawn » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:54 am

It looks like we are getting quite near the date of arrival! One of the first things I plan to do is make a few simple jigs. I am curious as to what jigs other folk have in mind, and/or the applications for them.

This way it may be possible to share a few jig patterns, and perhaps make more versatile jigs, right off the bat.

I plan to make a jig for cutting wooden gears. My plan is to have a pivot on a bit of track, so it can go up and down. Then a wheel and pin combination, Just like they use on a mill or lathe. The gear blank will be vertical.

Spin around the wheel cutting one side of each tooth. Shift the angle and spin around cutting the secondary bevel for the same side. Then repeat for the other side of the tooth and then either chisel out or use a drill press to drill out the bottoms.

Another jig I want to make is one that holds a block of wood between two centers and can be indexed the same as the previous jig. With this locked in place, a cylindrical piece can be cut with multiple sides. By angling it, a taper can be cut. A taper to both ends could be cut as well.
I think this could make some very nice and very distinctive tool handles.

I also like the idea of making a jig for faceting wood. This might make for some very interesting drawer pulls, knobs, dowel ends and the like.

Bob [url]toolmakingart.com[/url]
BobStrawn

Postby baldock » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:16 am

The plan is to see what can be adapted from the Incra stuff. First is to wait and see what comes from BCTW. The list of changes from the Festool site appears to be quite different than the current pictures available. This quite frustrating to any advanced planning....

Jim :?
baldock

Frustration

Postby BobStrawn » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:08 pm

It is a bit rough to plan ahead. I was looking at a few Incra parts myself.

But part of my plan is to use the JMP to make jigs for the JMP.

Bob
BobStrawn

Postby Cory » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:40 pm

The first thing I envisioned was making the equivalent of a tenoning jig used on the table saw - something to hold a piece upright to make cheek cuts.

John demonstrated tenons using multiple cuts and a router plane. That might be the way I do them also, but it seems like holding a piece upright would come up eventually.

I envision something that looks like 3 sides of a cube - one side to register against the table, one against the fence, the last one to hold the work.

I might just get a piece of structural aluminum angle or square tube, but I don't know if its as perfectly square as I'd want it to be.

I also need to figure out a good way to make the outrigger that John talked about in his demos - something to hold a dowel rod parallel to the tables to help support long pieces. I'd want it easily detachable for when it's not needed.
Cory

Outrigger Idea

Postby John » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:04 pm

Cory;

I will post a drawing tomorrow of one simple idea.

John Economaki
John
Site Admin

Re: Outrigger Idea

Postby BobStrawn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:38 pm

John wrote:Cory;

I will post a drawing tomorrow of one simple idea.

John Economaki

Sweet! JMP additions and modifications from the inventor! This is going to be fun!

Cory, if you have yours together, you could start a first project thread and be the first to put one up. 8)

Bob
BobStrawn

Dead Man Concepts

Postby John » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:52 pm

Here's a quick concept idea for a dead man to prevent overloading the sliding tables. It’s lightweight, fast and offers minimal resistance.

I would likely use 1/2" Baltic birch ply for the wings and braces. 1/4 material for the rod supports. Rods could be anything that is straight, (closet poles, dowel, conduit, PVC, aluminum tube, etc). Waxing may help.

Fastens (fasteners not shown) to the front and back plate in the pre-drilled holes. Rod alignment to the table height could be done either with over sized holes on the wings, or with adjustments in the dowel holders.

Could also put a brace with a lip on the down legs of the wings for spare blade storage.

Or....

John

John
Site Admin

Dowel Rod

Postby BobStrawn » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:36 am

I have found that a wooden dowel inside a pvc pipe, is a pretty stable object. Schedule 80 filled with a tight wooden core makes a pretty amazing mallet. Schedule 40 wood filled should give pretty good service here.

If you make sure the tolerances are close and hammer fit the dowel into the pipe, I think you will have a winner. Make sure the dowel and the pipe are a bit longer than you need. The hammered end of the dowel and the resting end of the pipe may need to be sawed off to give a clean line.

It will be interesting to see what worktable evolves around the JMP.

Bob
BobStrawn

Postby John » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:37 am

Bob-

Right now based on my experience, I would not use a work table for the JMP, just a way to offload weight and minimize friction. But I agree, it will be fun to see what others do.

John
John
Site Admin

Postby BobStrawn » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:52 pm

John wrote:Bob-

Right now based on my experience, I would not use a work table for the JMP, just a way to offload weight and minimize friction. But I agree, it will be fun to see what others do.

John

I am thinking that as a household appliance, like a sewing machine, the range of furniture and accessory may create a whole new vision. The metal stand will fit as a good work site or garage option, but in the bedroom or den the artists that use this tool may alter the form well beyond the norm.

After I have it to work with, I will have better ideas, especially about keeping shims, rules, scribes and whatever else ends up being needed with this tool. To the side I envision a music stand for holding plans as you work. With speed, convenience, quiet, and safety, the image of flipping pages like music as you shape wood, is very appealing.

Ergonomics change with a tool like this, so I suspect I need to use one for a bit before I can commit to a design. Wednesday next week, barring the unpredictable, I will be assembling mine!

Bob
BobStrawn

Postby Cory » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:55 pm

It looks like Bob's thoughts have turned in the same direction mine have been - indoor shop furniture. This will be inside with the bench I just built, so it feels like it needs to be a hybrid between something you'd make for your shop and a true piece of furniture.

I have a temporary solution that is the correct height for using the JMP, and I'm happy about that because I can use it for a while before I design something around it.

Just a few thoughts - I think I'd want the wings removable, and possible only use 1 wing instead of both sides. I'm dealing with limited real estate indoors (11x11 feet) so I wouldn't want to permanently commit the space to it.

I was measuring things last night, and the JMP sits 3/4" above my workbench, my short term solution is just to make a skid to sit on top of the workbench and move the JMP far enough away to support the end of the board.
Cory

Postby BobStrawn » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:34 pm

Cory wrote:It looks like Bob's thoughts have turned in the same direction mine have been - indoor shop furniture. This will be inside with the bench I just built, so it feels like it needs to be a hybrid between something you'd make for your shop and a true piece of furniture.

Just a few thoughts - I think I'd want the wings removable, and possible only use 1 wing instead of both sides.

A folding wing might work, or you could make a quick release version.

I like the idea of two fixed wings. Adding stability to longer sections, and being able to work from either side will speed up and ease the thought processes as I work, since the tool is ambidexterous

I also like John's concept of storage function. If each wing acts as a tool/parts well, this can also speed function. I am envisioning a deep well pocket next to the body of the JMP and a wider, shallower well for the rest of the wing. This way markers, scribes and the like can be organized in a kind of rack that fits into the deep pocket, and be easily reached for.

I will want a separate table with clamping, nearby, since I don't want to be chiseling waste over my JMP.

Having the wings fold up over the JMP and making a table top would be kind of classic, furniture wise. Having the JMP concealed entirely within the table would also be classic.

Being able to adjust the forward angle and height are also an option I expect to see several versions of as well.

Bob
BobStrawn

Postby Cory » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:37 pm

Been playing with a wooden hinge concept. It probably won't work because it would put a lot of pressure on the hinge stops. I think it needs to have the lengthwise supports like John's original design, but it could be done like this with removing the hinge pins to detach it.

Cory

Postby BobStrawn » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:26 pm

I rather like your design, Cory. Light, portable, and reasonably minimalist. If the cross beams where rectangular or even T sections instead of dowels, and had sliding dovetails into the swinging supports, this might give enough structure.

Intersecting notches would probably do as well and not require as thick a 'wing'.

Bob
BobStrawn

Postby John » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:38 pm

To All;

Early next week we are going to change the structure of this forum and make it a more useful tool--no big deal, just a heads up. If you have suggestions, now is the time to share them with us.

Also, in the spirit of sharing, if you post an image, particularly a CAD image, please briefly share what package you are using; i.e., Image created in Google Sketch-up or Rhino or Cobalt or...sketched by hand. Trust me when I tell you that you are ahead of the curve in this department and many are eager to learn but don't know where to start. To help facilitate this department, we will start a general CAD forum for you folks to share experiences.

Also, our forum moderator, Michael will be back next week (something about his garage falling down or some other lame excuse which has created excess work for me) and I am sure he will be happy to explain step-by-step how to post an image on this forum...

Lastly, please sign your posts (an alias is OK), it seems easier to respond to a name than an email moniker.

Lastly Again, we have received several requests for a Jointmaker Pro RSS feed--your thoughts?

Thanks!

-John
No image posted but I am thinking of one!
John
Site Admin

Return to Jointmaker Pro Jig/Fixtures Accessories Idea Bank