Clamp for miter cuts on the JMP

Post your ideas for creating specialty jigs and fixtures.

Moderator: Michael

Postby savatteridesigns » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:34 pm

News-flash . . .

My rudimentary 3- point miter clamp works wonderfully.

Posts & photos over the weekend.

savatteridesigns

Re: Clamp for miter cuts on the JMP

Postby User304782 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:06 am

savatteridesigns wrote:.

News-flash . . .

My rudimentary 3- point miter clamp works wonderfully.

Posts & photos over the weekend.

Well, it's the weekend.... :?:

My wife tries to tell me I'm too impatient, but I don't let her finish.
User304782

3-Point 45 Degree Miter Clamp Jig for the JMP

Postby savatteridesigns » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:21 pm

3-Point 45 Degree Miter Clamp Jig for the JMP

Objective . . .

I found that when making 45 degree miter cuts on small stock I needed to come up with an alternative solution to the stock wood-clamps supplied with the JMP.

Concept . . .

In the following photos you'll see my first version of the 3-Point 45 Degree Miter Clamp Jig for the JMP. Keep in mind this is a first draft of a "work in progress" of what will be eventually a very doable jig that one can make for oneself to assist in making miter as well as straight cuts on the JMP. That said, my rough draft did work flawlessly on both long pieces of small stock of Bamboo plywood as well as some short pieces of white oak. There are obvious limitations as to the size of the stock this jig-clamp will take, this is only temporary. Because this is a working model the range is limited as to the width of the stock I am able to fit in there. (At the moment it's an inch - but ultimately I'll be able to match the range with the maximum cut obtainable with the JMP.

I call it a 3-point clamp because there are 3 clamping actions going on at the same time. Two primaries and one secondary clamping action.
The two primaries are.... the rack clamp (the red and black one) for the downward pressure on the workpiece and the cam clamp (wood & steel) that applies the pressure towards the back fence.
The secondary clamp is in the back (knob and blue clip) and its purpose is to hold down the wood block part of the jig to prevent it from rising when pressure is applied with the cam clamp against the workpiece.

By having a 3 point source of clamping one doesn't need to apply a "death grip" pressure to one point to hold a workpiece, The process of adjusting the 3 clamps actually goes really quickly to the point where you don't think about it.
. . .and that's with this rough form version at the moment.

Materials . . .

Generally, the materials I used was a piece of 35 mm Europly, some cork double-face-tape and some miscellaneous hardware.
The clamps I used, was a DeStaco Rack Clamp, an 8 inch Cam Clamp, And an element I took apart from a "Gripper" push block.

Notes . . .

The photos are pretty much self explanatory, but I would like to add . . .

This clamping -jig is set at 45 degrees, eventually there will be a set of these at different angles to choose from or an adjustable unit.

When looking at photo no. 7, I'm using a "Gripper" element as a jaw to hold down the workpiece with the "rack clamp" , eventually I'll have a whole set of incremental blocks made (with cork at the bottom) to choose from.

The positioning of the rack clamp is restricted on the working model, eventually I see it being able to move side to side and back & forward on the fence/table. (with a set of perhaps sliding dovetail channels that could be adjusted/tightened after the fence is locked in position)

The fence I'm using is a modified fence adapted for the prototype upgrade rails/tables. Ideally, when cutting miters it would be nice if the fence were longer, even with the the supplied wood block clamp fixtures. The longer length would also give the cam clamp a wider choice of where to be placed.
I'm sure the elves in Portland are working on this as we speak. (since the upgrade is only a prototype upgrade.)

The blue clip that you see bridging the trench cut under the knob is a temporary remedy due to the location of the knob in relation to the trench -cut. (since this is a first draft it was quicker to make a hole than a slot)

In photo #13 you see that I'm cutting the four pieces of white oak without a top hold down. I was in a rush at the time to cut those (part of a birthday card/box) and just quickly put in a bunch of plastic card spacers in order to accommodate the cam clamp pressure.
(and it worked - just, but would have preferred the top pressure)

Questions . . .

If you have any questions, please reference the number of the photo your talking about - located at the bottom of each photo.

Image 1

Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Image 6

Image 7

Image 8

Image 9

Image 10

Image 11

Image 12

Image 13

Image 14

Image 15
savatteridesigns

Where did you get the clamp?

Postby User304782 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:20 pm

The clamp in Picture 7, is, I assume what you are calling the DeStaCo Rack Clamp. I checked the DeStaCo site and cannot find this clamp. Does it go by another name? A different manufacturer? Or am I just hopelessly inept today?

Thanks,
D
User304782

Postby savatteridesigns » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:22 pm

"D"

I actually just noticed your post.

Here are a couple of links that might prove helpful.....

http://www.dawntools.com.au/products.ph ... &sub_id=18

http://www.dawntools.com.au/products/Co ... _34_81.pdf

They might prove useful in your hunt, the key word was "composite"
It's an all plastic composite clamp, no metal parts.
I bought mine from Lee Valley over a year and something ago, they then discontinued selling them.
From what I heard there wasn't a strong interest in them. I don't know why, their great clamps.

I never dealt with those folks in the link I provided above, their the ones that first came up when I did a search.

McFeely's does have a toggle clamp made from the same material, which I haven't got but I might order a couple to try them out for a different purpose.
http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/TC-5110 ... ggle-Clamp

Perhaps if you contact their buyer, they might lead you to someone that carries the rack clamp.

Hope that helps,
Roger

savatteridesigns

Postby User304782 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:30 pm

Thank you. I appreciate your response.

David
User304782

Postby User304782 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:45 pm

It looks like they have been discontinued according to:

http://www.mjvail.com/destaco/destaco17.html

I've been looking for a clamp exactly like the one you show. I guess I'll check and see if that company in Australia still has some.

Thanks again,
David
User304782

Return to Jointmaker Pro Jig/Fixtures Accessories Idea Bank