acrylic cursor issue?

Kinks and possible issues that lead to frustration

Moderator: Michael

acrylic cursor issue?

Postby User304717 » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:35 pm

Was it just me, or does the acrylic cursor included with the JMP seem a bit below the standard of the rest of the saw? I managed to break mine the very first day. It seems that the included 4-40 screw is of the wrong species--the conical shape turns it into a lever which, in my case, split the cursor. IMHO, it seems like acrylic is the wrong material to use for something this delicate.

I fashioned a replacement cursor out of a 3/16" piece of orange micarta, which almost matches the orange anodization. I drilled a countersunk hole, whose profile roughly matches that of the 4-40 screw.

Please accept this criticism which I offer in humility--maybe I did something wrong in installing this, in which case maybe the instructions need clarification. It is a very minor thing and, so far, as I am learning about how to use this tool, I am becoming more and more appreciative of how much thought went into the design. Having logged only a couple of hours on it, I am not thoroughly comfortable with it, but it looks so very promising to me now. Thanks for your completely new way of looking at the world.

Steve.
User304717

Postby Michael » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:14 am

Hi Steve,
The cursor is meant to go in the slot in top concave surface of the Front Traveler. Then, the included 4-40 screw will be flush with the face of the Traveler. Mounting it to the face of the Traveler will indeed shatter the cursor instantly like you said.

We wanted to be able to see through cursor to the degree graduations. I have been dreaming of "clear aluminum" for a long time and nobody has come up with it yet! So we stayed with acrylic.

Thanks for the feedback, we'll beef it up the next time around.
Michael
Michael
Site Admin

Postby Doug » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:38 pm

Michael wrote:...
I have been dreaming of "clear aluminum" for a long time and nobody has come up with it yet! So we stayed with acrylic.

Some company in the SF Bay area was given the formula for transparent aluminum by Scotty when he needed to build a tank to transport whales to the future in a rundown Klingon Warship. That company must have patented it by now?? :lol:

The thickness of the acrylic seemed a bit on the tight side to the slot. I got it in and screwed down OK but not without marring up the edges a bit trying to push it into the slot. Just my $0.02.
Doug

Return to Jointmaker Pro Known Issues (Complaint Department)