Made it to step 20 - missing both trap clamps!

Kinks and possible issues that lead to frustration

Moderator: Michael

Made it to step 20 - missing both trap clamps!

Postby User304607 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:24 pm

Sorry to say my good intentions to complete assembly this evening have failed in the face of missing trap clamps! I have hunted high and low, checked the box and delivery materials, under and behind work tables, the works. I don't have them - I put all smaller parts in a box when I unpacked... and every time I double checked tonight they simply weren't there! I even reviewed the pics I've been taking to post a sort of assembly report on woodnet, but don't see the trap clamps in the shots either (of course I'm not clear exactly what I'm looking for, and the pics weren't intended to inventory parts).

Although I admit I was so overwhelmed by the quantity of fasteners that I didn't sort and count fasteners (as I normally would) - but I now want to join whoever it was that suggested a full parts list was a good idea - and I suggest adding a first step confirming that all parts are present.

Although I live in NY I usually rise on the morning according to California time - but tomorrow morning I'll be up and on the phone bright and early to get this straightened out.

Vinny
User304607

Re: Made it to step 20 - missing both trap clamps!

Postby User304209 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:49 am

User304607 wrote:Sorry to say my good intentions to complete assembly this evening have failed in the face of missing trap clamps! I have hunted high and low, checked the box and delivery materials, under and behind work tables, the works. I don't have them - I put all smaller parts in a box when I unpacked... and every time I double checked tonight they simply weren't there! I even reviewed the pics I've been taking to post a sort of assembly report on woodnet, but don't see the trap clamps in the shots either (of course I'm not clear exactly what I'm looking for, and the pics weren't intended to inventory parts).

Although I admit I was so overwhelmed by the quantity of fasteners that I didn't sort and count fasteners (as I normally would) - but I now want to join whoever it was that suggested a full parts list was a good idea - and I suggest adding a first step confirming that all parts are present.

Although I live in NY I usually rise on the morning according to California time - but tomorrow morning I'll be up and on the phone bright and early to get this straightened out.

Vinny

Vinny,

Good morning at 4.30 am LA time.........

The trap clamps are what I called "stops" within my review at http://festoolownersgroup.com/index.php?topic=3889.0
under the second post titled ........Fixturing, Work Holding Requirements &
The Cutting Experience with Appropriate Applications (continued)
You see one in those 3 photos. There is a left one and a right one denoted in the manual as L. Trap and R. Trap.
(two blocks of wood with funny angles at each end ) There were special cutouts for the in the packaging when you first opened your JMP box.

They are used to clamp your work tight against the sacrificial fence.
Perhaps another term could have been "trap clamp block"

We'll wait for the second run of JMP's for that change. ':D'

cheers,
Roger Savatteri

ps. if I'm wrong here I'm sure John will correct me.
User304209

Postby User304607 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:13 am

Roger, thanks, that's very helpful. I see the culprits in the video and now I know - there were no such parts when I unpacked! Thank you!
User304607

Postby Michael » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:14 am

Hi Vinny,
I was wondering why I had these trap clamps on my desk....

Give us a call and we can overnight some to you today.

Sorry about the hassle!
Michael
Michael
Site Admin

Postby User304607 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:25 am

Thanks Michael, I'll call in a little while, soon as I get some work off my desk!
User304607

Postby User304607 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:39 am

Michael, thanks, I call and was assured the clamps will go out today overnight. Let me ask... is there any reason I shouldn't complete assembly without the trap clamps? Thanks, Vinny
User304607

Postby Michael » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:58 am

Go right ahead and finish up the assembly. The Trap Clamps are pretty much the last step.
Without the Trap Clamps you should be able to cut small stock by TIGHTLY holding down the material to the tables and fence. Start with small dowels and then try 1/2" square stock to see how it feels.

Michael
Michael
Site Admin

Postby User304607 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:45 am

Thanks Michael, that's perfect!
User304607

wish I had gone right ahead!

Postby User304607 » Sat May 09, 2009 8:29 pm

Michael wrote:Go right ahead and finish up the assembly. The Trap Clamps are pretty much the last step.
Without the Trap Clamps you should be able to cut small stock by TIGHTLY holding down the material to the tables and fence. Start with small dowels and then try 1/2" square stock to see how it feels.

Michael

Well, here I am, finally back to finish assembly and angst cuts me to the quick! Finished step 20 (thanks for those trap clamps!) and now I'm hung-up in step 21! Got the blade in, tightened the screws, pinched the blade and tightened the blue guide. But the blade moves up only with some pressure, and not down at all - just the crank loosens instead. (I did fiddle a bit with the pitch guide thinking to better see what I was doing, although I don't know if that's somehow the problem.) This problem had NOT been the case earlier, certainly everything seemed ok with the transmission test. Sadly, the tool has sat untouched since March 18th, but I thought all was progressing smoothly until then, and really expected to finish assembly tonight. Now I'm at a loss about what to do. Thanks for any help, I'm befuddled for certain! (are there issues with humidity by any chance?)
User304607

Postby Michael » Sun May 10, 2009 8:43 am

There are a couple of things that you can check:

If the crank handle is loosening, ensure that you put the jam nut on first and tighten the jam nut up to the crank handle.

Ensure that you securely tightened the philips head screws for the blade. Use a #2 philips screw driver.

Just how hard did you pinch the blade guides? Maybe they were squeezed too much.

Let me know if this helps!
Michael
Michael
Site Admin

YESS!

Postby User304607 » Sun May 10, 2009 12:42 pm

Michael, thanks, the problem was the jam nut not tightened against the crank handle. Now the blade is riding high, but I'm going to go through the process again with a magnifier mounted on my trifocals and I'll bet that makes a difference. Many thanks - and here's hope I don't have to bother you any more!
User304607

So much for hope!

Postby User304607 » Sun May 10, 2009 1:40 pm

Ok, now I've gone through the process of step 21 again, the blade is about 1/8" high from front to back with the adjuster lowering the rear of the blade as far as it can and the entire assembly cranked down as far as it will go, cranking freely, thank you, but ..(he shudders to ask) now what do I do to lower the blade to it's proper level Thanks!
User304607

Postby Michael » Sun May 10, 2009 10:30 pm

Ok, this is not as complicated as you might guess.
The 4 screws (that are all easily accessible) that hold the rear drive shaft can be removed. Remove the drive shaft and then you can lower the front and rear of the blade independently. Lower the amount needed to get the blade to be beneath the table surface and then re-attach the drive shaft again, ensuring that the gears align properly.

You're getting there!
Michael
Michael
Site Admin

Ok, that does sound better then I feared

Postby User304607 » Mon May 11, 2009 11:21 am

...Thanks Michael, I'm going to study on this and give it a try! (Feeling foolish...)
User304607

That worked...

Postby User304607 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:59 pm

...like a charm, thank's Michael. About 5 minutes and the blade now rests just the least bit below the tables throughout their travel. Now to finish, or soon hopefully, no time now, but did want to say thanks again.
User304607

Return to Jointmaker Pro Known Issues (Complaint Department)