Table wings are not flat

Kinks and possible issues that lead to frustration

Moderator: Michael

Table wings are not flat

Postby bctw@SolidObject.com » Sat May 14, 2011 7:16 pm

I bought a used version one JMP. It is in mint condition, as the original owner assembled it, made some test cuts and then never used it on any projects.

I did use it to cut some small parts on for a serving tray that has some moving parts. In general, I was pretty happy with it. It allowed me to make cuts that I probably could not have done any other way. I had to do some tweaking to get things squared up, but I got it done.

Along the way, I notice that small parts would sometimes rock a bit. I posted about it elsewhere. Now that I have some time, I have removed the table wings and discovered that they really aren't very flat. I put the two wings together so that the bows in them are opposed and put a clamp on one side. This creates a gap on the other side of something over a 32nd of an inch. I've include a picture.

I find this surprising, considering each wing is only 8" wide and also because the reset of the tool seems ultra-precise. When I put a straightedge across the dovetail ways, for example, there is no gap anywhere to be founds. I can't slide a .001" feeler gauge anywhere.

I don't see why this wouldn't be a problem, so I'm wondering if anyone else sees this in their own JMP. If not, maybe I can just purchase a new pair of wings (that sounds better than it should).

Gap.jpg
Gap caused by bow in wings
Gap.jpg (861.63 KiB) Viewed 5425 times
bctw@SolidObject.com

Re: Table wings are not flat

Postby Michael » Wed May 18, 2011 8:45 am

Depending on how well the tables were stress-relieved prior to machining, the original JMP tables could potentially bow after machining. Yours do look like an extreme case. We solved this with the design of the V2 kit.
Drop me an email and we can have some replacement tables sent out to you.
michael@bridgecitytools.com
Michael
Site Admin

Re: Table wings are not flat

Postby bctw@SolidObject.com » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:47 pm

I just wanted to get back to this and let everyone know that I received two replacement table wings from BCTW. They were much flatter and it made a big difference. It was really great of them to do that, given I bought the tool used.

It's funny how precise instruments make you want more precision. One of the wings dipped ever so slightly at the edge nearest the blade. I added one layer of masking tape to the top of the inner slider before screwing it on to fix it. Two layers of tape was too much. :)

Thanks so much, Michael.
bctw@SolidObject.com

Return to Jointmaker Pro Known Issues (Complaint Department)