Base or BCTW Stand Requirements

Kinks and possible issues that lead to frustration

Moderator: Michael

Base or BCTW Stand Requirements

Postby John » Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:30 pm

Couple of points (not really issues, but could create one if not clearly understood);

Whether you build your own stand (or clamp to a workbench) or use the BCTW stand, the Jointmaker Pro has to be rigid for optimal functionality.

First and foremost, the mounting surface must be planar. If you clamp the JMP down to a non-planar surface you risk pulling the rails out of plane and the tool will be very inefficient if not almost impossible to rely upon.

The BCTW stand is 16 unique parts laser cut from sheet steel. Please follow the instructions and assemble upside down on a flat surface (this helps keep the mounting surface planar). Your objective is to have the legs of the stand adjust to the irregularities in your floor, not the mounting surface.

For those building your own stand, locate your hip bone to either side of your belt buckle (if you wear suspenders you are out of luck...). Subtract 10-1/4" (26cm) and this is the recommended height of your stand on the operator side. We really like the back of the stand to be 3" higher-FYI. (The feet of the BCTW stand adjust to meet this recommendation.)

John
John
Site Admin

Stand

Postby Outofthewoodtoyou » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:21 pm

OK - I don't get how you are to attach the JMP to a stand. There is only one tiny hole in each end of the stretchers.

I know I'm not the most mechanical of folks --- but I guess I need a little more instruction. Or a great big picture book! :? (I apologize to those of you who really do know a bolt from a screw!)
Outofthewoodtoyou

Postby John » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:20 am

The two bottom stretchers have four pre-drilled holes. The distance between the bottom of these stretchers and the surface the front and back plates rest is exactly 3/4".

If you use the BCTW stand, the holes in these stretchers mate with holes in the stand and it is bolted in place. If you don't use the BCTW stand, these holes are used to receive bolts/screws that fasten the frame onto a shop-cut piece of 3/4" ply or any other base of your choosing and design.

Lastly, the front and back plates of the Jointmaker Pro have a crescent shaped cutout at the bottom of each plate. If your saw is mounted to ply as mentioned above, these ports allow you to sweep dust from beneath the machine into an appropriate waste container.

John
John
Site Admin

Return to Jointmaker Pro Known Issues (Complaint Department)