Saw spine movement

Questions and comments concerning the assembly of the Jointmaker Pro

Moderator: Michael

Saw spine movement

Postby User304644 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:07 pm

The "transmission check" instructions say "there should be ZERO longitudinal movement of the Saw Spine between the Spine Guides."
Mine rattles a bit in the front guide. I put a feeler gauge on it and the movement is between 1 and 2 thou. Is that too much, and if so, what should I do about it? Thanks.
(Otherwise, assembly is going more smoothly than I expected/feared.)
User304644

Postby John » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:35 pm

Side to side movement of the saw spine within either/both spine guides does not matter (the saw blade is always trapped between the blade guides). Longitudinal movement is what you do not want (front to back slop of the saw spine). When properly set-up, the shoulders of the saw spine are trapped between the front and rear spine guides throughout the entire range of motion created by the pitch adjustor and the blade height adjustments. Think of the spine guides as fore and aft thrust bearings for the saw blade.

So what happens if you don't pay attention and have slop? When your stock encounters the saw blade, the blade (which is now firmly attached to the saw spine) will move backward minutely until the saw spine hits the rear spine guide (you can feel the "crash" as the spine hits the rear spine guide). At that point your cut will begin. It feels wrong and places undo stress on the first couple of teeth of the blade--other than that, the saw will work fine.

All you have to do is grab the saw spine with one hand and try to move it forward or backward. If you feel a little "click" then remove the slop (it's only possible to have this off by a few thousandths of an inch). It still needs to move up and down, and pivot--all without longitudinal slop/play.

Good question--I hope this helps.

John
John
Site Admin

Postby User304663 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:31 pm

My blade spline has no longitudinal movement until the blade is at the height of 1.6250" (top of table to the top of blade). Raising the blade a little further and the movement disappears, at which the blade is almost at the top of travel. Is this normal?
User304663

Postby John » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:53 am

You are doing fine!
John
Site Admin

Spine Guide Movement

Postby Don » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:30 pm

How do I remove the slop (i.e. longitudinal movement) in the saw spine? I have made sure the guides are flush and square to the keel assembly and as close together as possible. Still there is a slight click of the spine as it moves between the spine guides.
Don

Postby John » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:42 pm

Don:

First, make sure the saw guides (one blue, one black) are tight to the spine guides.

Next, slide the rear spine guide forward (the whole assy. will move forward) until the rear spine guide is flush (or very close) to the barrel nut housing. This spine guide can then be tightened.

All that is left is to push the bottom of the front spine guide towards the rear firmly before tightening the two screws.

If this doesn't work, call us please. (Ask for Michael, as I will be out of the office the balance of the week)
1-800-253-3332

-John
John
Site Admin

Return to Jointmaker Pro Set-Up & Assembly FAQ