instructions

Questions and comments concerning the assembly of the Jointmaker Pro

Moderator: Michael

instructions

Postby Outofthewoodtoyou » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:18 pm

Wow - I'm to step 17 in putting the JMP together. Here are a couple of issues I've had so far - that for others maybe it wouldn't be. But here goes.

1) page 4 - does a good job of showing which screw is which - terrific. But why not also have a page with the other parts pictured? Perhaps picture them in the order they will be used to assemble the tool. That way a person could get everything laid out and not have to go from one pile of parts to another looking for something. This is probably not an issue for those who are mechanical and have assembled lots of stuff. But for those of us not so inclined - it would help.

2) page 10 - the shim washers - this is just a typo I think. But is it .010 as it indicates on page 10 or is it .310 as it lists in the parts page?

3) I can't find all the links for the videos that have been made for the different assembly spots. Where are they?

4) I'm also missing a 8-32 x 3/8 phillips head screw for putting the bumpers on. I'm assuming these are special screws and I need to get them through you. Is that right?

I'm looking forward to getting my saw put together soon and using it. It looks quality all the way through.

Thanks in advance
Outofthewoodtoyou

Postby John » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:28 am

The shim washers (x2) are indeed .010" Thick and .310" in diameter. No typo here.

Are you missing all four 8-32 x 3/8" RH Phillips bumper screws or just one? Either case, give us a quick call (we check the forum once or twice a day) and we will get you what you need. (They are not special). 800-253-3332

Thanks for the tip on improving page 4.

We received several calls regarding our idea for a video manual that were not favorable after our announcement --so we produced a traditional manual and are making assembly videos for the less obvious steps. We will post a couple more on Monday. Don' t hesitate to call us if you need guidance!

John
John
Site Admin

Step 9, Pitch Adjustor/Spine Guide

Postby CMKACO » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:35 pm

On page 9, Step 9, Pitch Adjustor/Spine Guide, substep 4, it says to "Tighten the retaining screw in the Pitch Adj. until the Pitch Adjustor Screw will not turn. . . . "

I couldn't find any previous mention of the retaining screw, and I can't find the retaining screw in the Pitch Adj. Am I missing something? I can't even figure out where that retaining screw would go. Can somebody help, please? I called BCTW, and there is only one person in the office, and while very nice (as always, kudos to BCTW), she was not familiar with the assembly process.
CMKACO

Re: Step 9, Pitch Adjustor/Spine Guide

Postby Outofthewoodtoyou » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:02 pm

CMKACO wrote:On page 9, Step 9, Pitch Adjustor/Spine Guide, substep 4, it says to "Tighten the retaining screw in the Pitch Adj. until the Pitch Adjustor Screw will not turn. . . . "

I couldn't find any previous mention of the retaining screw, and I can't find the retaining screw in the Pitch Adj. Am I missing something? I can't even figure out where that retaining screw would go. Can somebody help, please? I called BCTW, and there is only one person in the office, and while very nice (as always, kudos to BCTW), she was not familiar with the assembly process.

I think what may be called the retaining screw is the screw that you put into the top of the pitch adjuster in step 7 (8-32 x 3/4 Button Head Cap Screw). That screw "retains" the adjuster in the barrel nut housing.

That's my best guess. Hope it helps.
Outofthewoodtoyou

Postby Outofthewoodtoyou » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:03 pm

John wrote:The shim washers (x2) are indeed .010" Thick and .310" in diameter. No typo here.

Are you missing all four 8-32 x 3/8" RH Phillips bumper screws or just one? Either case, give us a quick call (we check the forum once or twice a day) and we will get you what you need. (They are not special). 800-253-3332

Thanks for the tip on improving page 4.

We received several calls regarding our idea for a video manual that were not favorable after our announcement --so we produced a traditional manual and are making assembly videos for the less obvious steps. We will post a couple more on Monday. Don' t hesitate to call us if you need guidance!

John

Well that's a duh on my part John. Looked right at it and didn't see anything but the digits. Sorry about that.

I spoke to Amanda in the office and she has me taken care of.

Thanks for the help.
Outofthewoodtoyou

Retaining screw

Postby CMKACO » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:28 am

Outofthewoodtoyou wrote, "I think what may be called the retaining screw is the screw that you put into the top of the pitch adjuster in step 7 (8-32 x 3/4 Button Head Cap Screw). That screw "retains" the adjuster in the barrel nut housing. "

I thought it might be this, but at the step you are told to do this, you cannot tighten this screw, as it is in the housing.

Can John or Mike help at all?
CMKACO

Postby John » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:08 am

On page 8 of the manual go to Step 7 (top of the page).

The pitch adjustor screw with knob are shown. The end without the knob is internally threaded to receive the 8-32 Button Head Cap Screw and 2 washers.

Insert the barrel nut into the barrel nut housing as shown. You should now be able to thread the pitch adjusting mechanism up through the barrel nut past the top of the barrel nut housing. Insert (they may already be attached, we may have preassembled these--I don't remember) where the screw and both washers protrude out the top of the barrel nut housing (step 7.3).

The head of this screw and one washer slide into the slot milled into the saw spine. The other washer fits underneath the saw spine.

This particular screw has a threadlock patch. It is designed to stay put after you complete Step 9 so it feels real stiff while being tightened.

I hope this helps.

John
Last edited by John on Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Site Admin

"Retaining screw"

Postby CMKACO » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:04 am

I figured it out. What threw me was calling it a "retaining screw" when previously you called it a "button head cap screw." Last night, after a full week of work, and a frustrating day, I just didn't see the small hole in the top of the saw spine. This morning, after it was suggested by another forum member that it was this screw, I went and had another look.

In future versions of the manual, you might call it the button head cap screw, and direct owner to use a small allen key through the hole in the top of the saw spine.

The saw is coming together nicely. Super nice fit and finish on everything so far!
CMKACO

Re: instructions

Postby Doug » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:29 am

Outofthewoodtoyou wrote:...
1) page 4 - does a good job of showing which screw is which - terrific. But why not also have a page with the other parts pictured? Perhaps picture them in the order they will be used to assemble the tool. That way a person could get everything laid out and not have to go from one pile of parts to another looking for something. This is probably not an issue for those who are mechanical and have assembled lots of stuff. But for those of us not so inclined - it would help.

I've had my JMP for about a month but assembly plans got derailed with hip replacement surgery. Started inventorying the parts 2 nights ago and got through step 1 last night. I think the OP's suggestion to have the other parts shown is a good one. One thing I found a bit confusing though is that in trying to inventory the fasteners that some of the same parts were spread across multiple bags. Wouldn't it make more sense to have separate small (labelled) bags for each fastener - at least for anything witha quantity of 4 or more.

In addition to missing 3 of the .354 OD steel washers, I also seem to have extra of a couple:
12 (instead of 6) of the 10-32 nuts
8 (instead of 4) of the 10-32 x 1/2" socket head cap screws
Maybe I'll discover where these extra ones go as I work through the assembly steps.

Even with any errata I'd also like to thank you for including a printed assembly manual rather than relying completely on online docs/videos.

Doug
Doug

Postby Michael » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:30 am

Some of the similar parts are in separate bags because they are used at different steps in the assembly process. This works to a point, but I know can lead to confusion too.

You will use all 12 of the 10-32 nuts while installing the Sliders to the Tables.
Looks like you have a couple extra 10-32 x 1/2 screws. You only need 4.

Thanks for the feedback!
Michael
Site Admin

Return to Jointmaker Pro Set-Up & Assembly FAQ