Locating 45 deg cuts on a flat board

Discuss general thoughts on the Jointmaker Pro.

Moderator: Michael

Locating 45 deg cuts on a flat board

Postby Dennis » Mon May 04, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi, Me again. Another question: I have a 6" flat board, marked for 45 deg. cuts. I would like to get the board positioned perfectly to avoid any "mismatch" in length on the four sides of a box. I seem to have a bit of difficulty aligning the saw to the knife mark (I'm using a flashlight, multiple attempts to get the cut aligned, etc. then I've backed off from the mark, cut it and plane it to finished length. I would like to make the saw work the way I know it can, but I'm not "there" yet. By the way, the leading edge has a 1/4" round over which makes it worse. I am putting the finish side down to avoid any roughness on the surface at the end of the cut.

Dennis
Dennis

Postby davidg » Mon May 04, 2009 8:58 pm

I'm not sure if I completely understand your question, but I'll suggest what I think might help.

Typically, one would clamp a stop block to the fence at the appropriate point to give the desired, repeatable lengths. If your stock is longer than the fence, as it may be with the JMP's short fence, then you would first need to clamp a fence extension to the JMP fence. Then, clamp the stop block to the fence extension.
davidg

Postby Michael » Tue May 05, 2009 7:15 am

I would agree with David. Make one 45 cut on each board. Then set up a stop block to create equal lengths for each of the second cuts. You should only have to mark one of the boards to your length.
You can clamp to the fence or to one of the tables. I imagine someone could create a sort of sliding stop using the pre-drilled and tapped holes on the table tops....just a thought.

Michael
Michael
Site Admin

Thanks

Postby Dennis » Tue May 05, 2009 9:18 pm

That was an easy fix. Forever indebted!
Dennis

Postby Dennis » Sun May 10, 2009 8:27 pm

I did what you suggested, I've done it many times on my chop saw - for some reason it just didn't occur to me to do it. I guess I was so enamored witht the new saw that I forgot to do the logical thing....It worked great except that I had already knife marked several boards and still had to be a little careful. Next time it is the stop block for sure and forget the marking! thanks DJ
Dennis

Return to Jointmaker Pro General Questions