Where to buy shims for saw guides

Discuss general thoughts on the Jointmaker Pro.

Moderator: Michael

Where to buy shims for saw guides

Postby sailforfun15@mac.com » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:18 pm

Since I've had my Jointmaker I've had a bit of trouble keeping it tuned up. I get perfect cuts sometimes, but much of time it seems like something is off a bit. For instance when I check blade to table alignment, I can align the front and back of the blade but the middle bows. If I squeeze the saw guides together in the middle, that bow goes away. I also here a slight tick sound as I cut, because as the stock I'm cutting contacts the very front of the blade, the blade is just a hair to the right of the kerf. If I move the tables up slowly I can actually see the blade deflect a bit. I mentioned this tick to John at a woodworking show and he suggested some little trick (I can't recall what), but it didn't work for me.

While doing basic maintenance on the machine the last couple of days I found quite a lot of back to front play in the saw spine, so I adjusted the front spine guide to remove the play. however, when I tightened the gray/champagne saw guide the saw would bind on the way down--so much so that I could not lower it. I suspect that I need more shims, at least on the gray guide.

I'm open for other things to look for here. I also checked the alignment of the black guide to the saw spine using scraper cards (my BCTW rules seem too thick). My guide definitely was installed wrong because I had it flush with the outside of the spine guide, which meant it was not aligned with the left interior wall of the saw spine.

So out I go in search of shims today, but all I could find at the big box store that seemed even close to the right diameter were #10 lockwashers and #4S brass flat washers that I could drill out to fit the bolts in the guides. Online it looks like superior washer as the .310 x .025, but I'm not seeing the .01. Anyone know of place where I can buy an assortment in the right OD and ID but different thicknesses?
sailforfun15@mac.com

Re: Where to buy shims for saw guides

Postby sailforfun15@mac.com » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:53 pm

An update: I got a few more shims from BCTW (Thanks Consuelo!) and found that .04 worth on the gray spine lets me tighten both guides with no binding. I'm not entirely done testing, but so far the bow in the blade is MUCH reduced--down to a hair in one short spot--and there is no more binding when lowering the blade. With the .04 worth of shims I found that I had to loosen the front spine guide and black spine to slip on the gray spine without risking cross threading the gray spine.

While doing all of this, I noticed that the preinstalled gear and gear bushings on the keel can actually move up and down bit because there is some space between the gear and the keel. Not sure if that is normal, but it does mean that in some keel positions, the keel and the shaft bearings do not align properly. The keel gears tend to lift up above the gears on the shafts. Doesn't look like this is causing any improper wear or grinding though.

Todd
sailforfun15@mac.com

Re: Where to buy shims for saw guides

Postby sailforfun15@mac.com » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:13 pm

Talked to Consuelo (who talked John) and I got a few more shims. Turns out the I needed .04 worth of shims instead of the stock .035. All is well now with my JMP V2. I'm back to glassy smooth cuts on both sides of the kerf and no binding as I raise or lower the saw.

Todd
sailforfun15@mac.com

Return to Jointmaker Pro General Questions