Forum Suggestions

Discuss general thoughts on the Jointmaker Pro.

Moderator: Michael

Forum Suggestions

Postby BobStrawn » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:51 pm

To All;

Early next week we are going to change the structure of this forum and make it a more useful tool--no big deal, just a heads up. If you have suggestions, now is the time to share them with us.

Also, in the spirit of sharing, if you post an image, particularly a CAD image, please briefly share what package you are using; i.e., Image created in Google Sketch-up or Rhino or Cobalt or...sketched by hand. Trust me when I tell you that you are ahead of the curve in this department and many are eager to learn but don't know where to start. To help facilitate this department, we will start a general CAD forum for you folks to share experiences.

Also, our forum moderator, Michael will be back next week (something about his garage falling down or some other lame excuse which has created excess work for me) and I am sure he will be happy to explain step-by-step how to post an image on this forum...

Lastly, please sign your posts (an alias is OK), it seems easier to respond to a name than an email moniker.

Lastly Again, we have received several requests for a Jointmaker Pro RSS feed--your thoughts?

Thanks!

-John
No image posted but I am thinking of one!

I figured I would start a suggestions topic, to keep subjects clear.

Probably this particular thread could disappear after it has served it's purpose.

Here is a list of observations and suggestions. I like the basic mechanics of the current forum, so please do not think that I consider this stuff urgent, important or whatever.

1 With the current conversation level or even a reasonably higher level, any further subdivision would reduce convenience. Only when topics start to roll off the screen in a single day should further subdivision be considered.

B Posted images should be managed by software to display with a size limitation, unless clicked on. Currently when I post a wide photo, it alters the view of text for everyone who goes to that thread.

III I like to stay logged on automatically. I don't want to stay logged on automatically if my BCT account data is available without a repeat of the password when I enter my financial data, orders or records.

Four Some of the functions do not leave me with a link back or easy return path. If I am in the forum and log on, I now have to return to the forum.

5 A bit more profile would be nice. My Icon or picture, a signature line, City, a history so I can get more of a feel for the people I am talking with, and a link to their web page would be nice options.

Outside the programming issues, a few other problems with of course show up. The Taliban will be here in due time, :roll: So take care of your administrators and support them, it can get rough.

Since a lot of the folk here are going to be financially dependent on their woodworking, a fairly clear statement of outside sale/commission discussion will reduce administration grief later. To put this more clearly, can I point to sales on ebay, advertise my sales on ebay, sell my jigs, or offer my services. This is a complex issue that has from time to time really hurt web communities. In many cases, once a businessman starts to expect to be able to do business in a certain manner, no explanation of ethics or issues will persuade him or his buddies, that any decision they don't like is reasonable. While Bridge City is quite used to being undersold, if someone actually made a product that was similar and of high enough quality to compete, you might not want them advertising here.

Politics is also an issue. Conservation of Truffula wood is not a shared ethic amongst woodworkers. Some folk go Oh pretty and expensive, others care about the future. There, I have gone too far and no one has even brought this up yet.

Additionally, be sure to keep note and have witnesses to your new ideas, if someone discusses a wimflam here, and you announce one the next week, disclosure issues might vex you. Probably yet another a registration agreement in lawyerese stating that things discussed here are never allowed to legally inconvenience you, is called for.

Bob

P.S. there seems to be an issue with maintaining login while composing a really long post.
BobStrawn

Postby Cory » Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:57 pm

I agree with most of Bob's points above.

It may also be useful to make the links to this a bit more prominent on your front page. I'd like to see more people coming here to post.

John also asked about RSS - having a JMP-focused blog aggregator like unpluggedshop.com would be nice.
Cory

Postby neilc » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:07 pm

As to forum structure, I'd love to see sections like:

JMP tips

JMP projects / project plans

JMP jigs or holding methods

I got my JMP and have started playing with it, but you definitely need to think very differently. Whatever this forum can do to encourage that would be welcome.

I agree with making the forums more visible in the main site nav.

Thanks for hosting and improving it.

neil
neilc

Link to discussion forum

Postby Outofthewoodtoyou » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:31 pm

People will get tired of me soon - always questions, questions, questions.

Here's a question. How do you get to the discussions forum after you sign in to the BCT main page? I ended up getting here by typing in "bridgecitytools.com/discussion -------------- then hitting reply to a post then it asked for me to log in and then I got to the point where I could post. Seems like a long way around the barn.

What am I missing?

Thanks - Out
Outofthewoodtoyou

Negative comments

Postby CMKACO » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:01 am

I belong to several musical instrument forums related to the Greek bouzouki, and things can get "heated" there. From what I have seen on forums that are really well run, the solution to the problem of people who incite riots (called flaming on forums) is to delete the post and warn the person, and if they persist, to ban them from the forum. Sure, they can register with another user name, so you have to keep track of people's IP addresses. This takes a lot of time and dedication from the Administrators (bless them for the work they do, whatever their or your religion or lack thereof). This really needs to be done. I have seen wonderful online communities brought to their knees by a few members whose only goal in life was to start arguments and get other members all worked up. There are other venues for "purists" to voice their opinion, or they can fund and sponsor their own online community. The owners of this forum have to decided what kind of community this is, and what will be tolerated, and post rules. Then all that has to be strictly enforced. A certain amount of free speech can be tolerated, but if members are always flaming others because they are not adhering to the purists methodology, then maybe that member doesn't need to be a member anymore. A lot of people will say things online that they would never say to your face, but politeness, manners and a certain modicum of humility is in order no matter where your conversation takes place. Just my thoughts on how to keep a forum from self destructing.
CMKACO

Postby John » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:34 am

To get to the forum, click on "Community Forum" located on the bottom of the BCTW opening page.

This will be a moderated forum and for those who have been following my lame attempts at humor on my blog, I have no patience for non-sense posts that incite mean-spirited diatribes.

Not because I am overly sensitive (I am) but because I believe education can be easily derailed by "my way or the highway" posts.

For example, man has been making dovetail joints for what 3-4 thousand years? And we still have people debating pins or tails first? YIKES.

If it is not fun/informative/and a valuable resource to OUR customers, we will shut it down.

Meanwhile, it is going to need much work--I don't like this thing. Anybody know of a good open-source forum program?

John
John
Site Admin

Return to Jointmaker Pro General Questions