Table decals

Discuss general thoughts on the Jointmaker Pro.

Moderator: Michael

Table decals

Postby bctw@SolidObject.com » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:29 pm

I recently managed to purchase a used original JMP with the sliding dovetails. This is one of those cases where someone bought a cool new tool and then just didn't use it, so it virtually new (and already assembled to boot). I, on the other hand, am using it. :)

so here is a bizarre problem I am having. There's decals on the sliding tables that indicate the no mans land where you shouldn't place your fingers. I can't believe I'm going to say this, but they are thick enough that some small pieces I was cutting actually rock on the lines. Has anyone else noticed this? This machine is otherwise so precise that it's noticeable. I've even had cases where I have done a crosscut with those beveled hold downs on both sides of the cut and the kerf actually closed up a bit at the end.

It makes me want to remove the decals. Any suggestions on the best way to do that?
bctw@SolidObject.com

Re: Table decals

Postby John@bridgecitytools.com » Fri May 06, 2011 12:33 pm

The graphic images you are referring to are laser etched into the aluminum. They are not removable.

It is interesting that you are experiencing this, they are only a few thousandths deep. That said, you could "skin" you table tops with a thin film of self-adhesive, clear plastic. Don't know where to get it, but it is out there. You would then need to cut out all the opening with a razor knife.

I hope this helps.

--John
John@bridgecitytools.com

Postby bctw@SolidObject.com » Tue May 10, 2011 9:56 pm

The graphic images you are referring to are laser etched into the aluminum.

I'm glad you responded. I see now what you mean. I just assumed they were decals and that it was the cause of the problem. Since I bought this used, I was fortunate enough to have it already assembled, so I did not go through all of the alignments and calibrations, etc.

Anyway, now that I have dispensed with my faulty assumptions, I went and put a straightedge on it. I discovered that the left wing has a bit of a bow to it. I clamped a straightedge lightly on the left side (just so it wouldn't fall over) and measured a .014" gap at the right edge. I'll guess that this implies a .007" high spot in the center; it seems fairly symmetrical. The right wing is very slightly cupped. It dips .003" in the very center.

I'm a little surprised at that amount of bow, considering how narrow the wings are and they appear to be milled. Is that a limitation of aluminum?
bctw@SolidObject.com

Postby Michael » Wed May 18, 2011 8:43 am

Depending on how well the tables were stress-relieved prior to machining, the original JMP tables could potentially bow after machining. Yours do look like an extreme case. We solved this with the design of the V2 kit.
Drop me an email and we can have some replacement tables sent out to you.
michael@bridgecitytools.com
Michael
Site Admin

Return to Jointmaker Pro General Questions