Replacement Blades

Discuss general thoughts on the Jointmaker Pro.

Moderator: Michael

Replacement Blades

Postby mt » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:58 pm

I'm looking forward to ordering the JMP. Such a precise, quiet tool fits perfectly in my urban woodworking environment. The one concern I have is that the custom replaceable blades are available from only BCT (with your emphasis on minimal inventory). I notice the blades have 5 notches (to prevent the blade from sliding is my guess), but I wonder if there is a way to rig a standard blade.

I could imagine in the midst of a project that I needed a sharper blade, and it would be a relief to know I could head down to my local tool store to pick of a replacement dozuki blade.

Thanks for making such qaulity tools.
mt

Postby John » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:28 pm

The blades for the JMP are specially designed for this frame. Technically one could notch standard blades using a laser (the metal is hard) or water jet. I don't believe notching by hand is possible, I know we can't do it.

In packets of 5 the blades are around 20 bucks apiece so having a few spares is recommended.

--John
John
Site Admin

Postby mt » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:04 am

Thanks John for replying. Though the answer was the I one I feared. The price per blade in the 5 pack is reasonable to be sure; I certainly will not mind buying them from BCT when they are in stock. But with BCT's emphasis on minimal inventory, that is not always the case. The rip blade is currently out of stock for example and unlike your fine chisels, these impulse hardened saw blades are not meant to be resharpened.
mt

Postby User305373 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:12 pm

With care, one might cut the notches with a cut-off wheel in a grinder, after marking them out with an original blade. The tolerances are probably pretty tight though...

Cliff
User305373

Re: Replacement Blades

Postby vikashshinge@gmail.com » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:37 am

Notching blade by hand would be a waste of time and doing it manually have not been considered safe by equipments manufacturers, so better to make use of technology.
vikashshinge@gmail.com

Return to Jointmaker Pro General Questions