Precision fence for JMPv2 assembly

Moderator: Michael

Precision fence for JMPv2 assembly

Postby james.hankinson@gmail.com » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:38 am

I'm having trouble with the levers that lock the precision fence to my new JMP. The paint on these seems so thick that there is not enough room for them to comfortably fit onto the fasteners. Likely user error, so I thought I would ask here first. Thanks for any advice.
James
james.hankinson@gmail.com

Re: Precision fence for JMPv2 assembly

Postby John » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:56 am

James -

That's a first- never heard of that happening before but I believe you.

The internal thread of the lever is 5/16-18. You have a couple of options;

You can chase the thread with a 5/16" tap which will clean out anything in the threads, or you can call us for a swap out. if you don't have one, a tap is a couple of bucks at your local ACE hardware store should you decide on that route.

Your choice. 800-253-3332

John
John
Site Admin

Postby terry_j_wilson@yahoo.com » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:52 pm

Yup, same issue...not the paint, the upper part of the lever casting is too large to center on the assembled bolt...jams into the fence and you can't manipulate properly...I just filed down some of the casting, still too much material. Have to to revert to the knobs from the original JMP and source another lever.
terry_j_wilson@yahoo.com

Postby james.hankinson@gmail.com » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:56 am

Sorry, Terry's response more aptly describes the problem. I had thought it was the paint on the lever that made it too large, however, if he has been filing it down then it is the lever casting itself which is too large. Any interim solutions for those of us without a JMPv1?
james.hankinson@gmail.com

Postby John@bridgecitytools.com » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:47 am

Can somebody who has a lever lock that does not fit the fence send me a cell phone pic of the lever laying next to a ruler please? It looks like there may have been a couple of bastard parts (it is what we call anomalies here) in the batch.

And if you are affected by this, contact us directly for replacements, no need to file anything, those levers are not inexpensive.

john@bridgecitytools.com

Thanks!

John
John@bridgecitytools.com

Postby hcstoops@comcast.net » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:50 pm

The "Works" has been sitting under my work bench for a couple of years and I finally got around to opening the box.
Boy, what a thing of beauty I beheld. Looks like it belongs in a tool and die shop instead of a woodshop. To my dismay I found no instructions to assembly this magnificent piece of tooling. I consider myself an above average woodworker, but only an average machinist and mechanic, and prefer to have some guidance to assemble this precision piece. The instruction for the JMP-2 were excellent, if I learned to be more observant of the pictures. I assembled and reassembled it several times before using up all the parts.

So my question is: is there a pdf file I could download the instruction? As good as videos are they aren't the same as having instructions laying on the work bench where the parts are.

Herb
hcstoops@comcast.net

Postby Consuelo » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:59 am

Hi Herb!

I just sent you a quick email with a PDF of the Precision Fence instructions. That's really strange that the package did not include one. There's always a first for everything!

Let us know how else we can help you. Have a great rest of your day!

Consuelo
Consuelo

Postby hcstoops@comcast.net » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:36 pm

Consuelo,
Thanks for your quick response. I used the instructions to assemble and calibrate the fence and is working great. I haven't assembled the protractor yet,as I have no need to it right now. I see where there are instructions for mounting on a table saw sled. does that mean it can be used on a table saw too?

One thing I will mention is that the little sliding clamp that goes on the fence, has a little pad on the clamping screw. the pad is attached with a lefthand thread to the screw and has a recess near the end to allow the pad to spin. This is a clever idea,but unfortunately the pad wants to unscrew and fall off when the clamp is released. So I clamped it in my vise and used a center punch to put a dimple in the socket on two sides so that it can't unscrew.

Herb
hcstoops@comcast.net

Return to Precision Fence Questions