New JMP Fence and cutting angles

Moderator: Michael

New JMP Fence and cutting angles

Postby neil » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:23 pm

Wow - Got the new fence installed and looking forward to using it. It really is a great addition.

That said, I'm starting to realize I need to 'relearn' how I did things with the fence upgrade.

Wondering if you could offer your thoughts on cutting angled joints with the new fence. Say I want to cut a 45 degree angle across a piece for a small picture frame. Given the 'bridge' connects the two halves and that the holes and clamps that attach to the two tables won't line up if you rotate the fences, are you recommending that you disconnect the bridge and only use 1/2 of the fence for angles? Or drop out one of the bolts to allow a pivot? I don't recall any discussion on angles in the earlier blog discussions.

Second question - if you want to angle the blade for cutting dovetails, are you thinking that you put a sacrificial fence in front of the existing fence to bridge the wider gap when you open up the fence faces?

Final - are you thinking about doing some videos on the basic techniques with the new fence. Granted I played with it at WIA but didn't go through all the motions on techniques which I'm sure you are working out yourself.

BTW, I did sign up for your Marc Adams class on the JMP, but thinking that is the 'advanced' techniques class' and I'm asking some basic questions!

Thanks -

Neil
neil

Re: New JMP Fence and cutting angles

Postby rwest » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:50 pm

Hello Neil,

I can answer the dovetail question- don't use the precision fence! Some operations are better done on the wooden fence and it slides right on the new bases.

I'm also signed up for the class at Mark Adams, should be a great time, looking forward to being in class with you.

Best,
Rutager
rwest

Postby neil » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:14 pm

Thanks Rutager. Now I see why you have more than one JMP!

But I still need to solve this. If I want precision index ability and angles, what is the approach?

Neil
neil

Postby rwest » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:01 pm

Neil,

I know that to do 45s on the standard set-up you have to just use one side, I wonder if this is the case here too. I got my fence yesterday and have been playing around with a few other things. I want to use the bias fence tonight for an experiment after that maybe I can play with big angles. You could always email John or Michael.

Good luck!
rwest

Postby sailforfun15@mac.com » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:37 am

I cut dovetails for a small box last night for the first time using the precision fence. I was able to do 7:1 tails easily by simply sliding the right side of the fence further right by about .25 inches. The micro-adjustability was helpful in dialing in the right spacing. Not sure why the fence isn't notched to permit this cut without moving the fence.

Unfortunately, I could not angle the fence enough to cut the pins so I had to take off the bridge and both fence halves, which is not exactly convenient, and then put the old wooden fence back on. Would be much nicer to be able to use the precision fence for all of this.

The bridge is probably the most inconvenient part of removing and reinstalling the precision fence: it has a lot of slop in it so you must essentially recalibrate the fence each time it is removed and reinstalled. A spacer block to put between one of the stops and the blade can help speed this up--I just saved the test piece I cut from my first calibration.

I wonder if we could replace the two MDF fences with a single sacrificial fence that contains slots instead of the 6 countersunk holes. Another idea is a telescoping bridge plate with a knob to lock it to a given length.

Todd
sailforfun15@mac.com

Postby Michael » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:13 am

The Precision Fences slide off of the dovetail nut easily. The original tall Straight fence slides on to the Dovetail nuts easily without tools.

The original poplar fences are NOT obsolete with the new Precision Fence. I would use the original tall Straight Fence for making dovetail joints because of the amount of surface area for clamping.

Thanks!
Michael
Michael
Site Admin

Postby sailforfun15@mac.com » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:26 am

Michael,

It is certainly easy enough to slide the precision fence off the fence bases and slide on the poplar sacrificial fence, but I found that to angle the fence enough for 7:1 pins I had to remove the bridge from the fence bases. Is there a way to do this operation without removing the bridge? Just trying to make this as efficient as possible and minimize the chances of losing or damaging the 4 little bolts and washers that hold the bridge to the fence bases.

Todd
sailforfun15@mac.com

Postby Michael » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:53 am

Leave the Bridge attached, but remove the 2 Levers closest to the blade. (Loosen the levers first, then lift vertically, use a small slotted screwdriver to unscrew. Catch the Bolt underneath before it falls to the floor and rolls away..)

You will be able to pivot the fence to where you need. If still using the Precision Fence, be careful that your fence does not overhang in front of the blade. Just loosen the one knob to slide the fence back from the blade.

Michael
Michael
Site Admin

Return to Precision Fence Questions