CT-12 Bench Plane Function

Discuss your favorite Commemorative Tool.

Moderator: Michael

CT-12 Bench Plane Function

Postby KWCabs » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:46 pm

Hi all, I hope this turns out to be a great tool resource. I am relatively new to the world of hand planes. I've worked with machines for too long :wink: and have discovered in the past few months the real joy and sometimes more practical work that can come from hand work. I've recently discovered Bridge City, and I think they are amazing tool makers. I bought two planes already, a CT-12 and an HP-7 as well as a couple of the Japanese Saws. I am curious about this "bench" plane though.

OK it has a 40 degree attack angle and the sole is roughly the size of a typical No. 4 but yet they did not call it a smoother? What in your mind makes a plane a smooth plane? I was under the impression that it was simply the sole size. Now, I've used this CT-12 to try and smooth, very nice results, as well as hack off a little more material, also seems to do a great job but my question really is what was it actually designed to do? Finally, if any of you are in fact using it to smooth I'm curious of your experiences and any tips you may have discovered. One thing I have been considering is to camber the sole just a hair, .001-.002 so as to reduce edge marks when cutting and perhaps just move a little nicer.

I know this forum is young, and I hope some of you are starting to check it, but I'm patient and will hope for the best. Thanks.

Kurt W

Postby paddywack1956 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:18 am

Bit late in replying but only just tuned in. You won't go far wrong in a slight camber in the blade.

Return to CT exchange