This Year's Tool !

Discuss your favorite Commemorative Tool.

Moderator: Michael

This Year's Tool !

Postby KWCabs » Fri May 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Hi all, I'm actually starting this post for two reasons...first I've been watching John's blog develop and I'm curious if the jointmaker pro is going to be this year's CT ??? Any thoughts?

Secondly though, and maybe even more importantly, I'm hoping this post (even though the forum is moving very slowly :( ) can possibly help John and the great folks at BCT. Help by everyone posting some of their ideas for what they might like to see developed or offered by BCT. In other words, what type of tool might you like to see? Obviously, our thoughts are just that, and it would be up to John and the like to take them to a whole new level, but I'm sure customer feedback is always appreciated.

So with that, I'll start. My experience with BCT is a young one but has so far been fantastic. In the last month or two, I've picked up a CT-12 an HP-7 as well as a couple of the handsaws. Soon, I'll be looking at the HP-6v2 setup in one way or another. That said, I've been told that BCT has never made a "big" plane. And while tooling innovation seems to have always been paramount, I have to say that BCT hand planes are virtually 2nd to none (and innovative nevertheless). Especially when looking at them as not only extemely well made and gorgeous but that level of quality in a usable package. Sure, guys like Holtey make a gorgeous well engineered plane too, but let's face it, BCT is expensive for the working woodworker let alone Holtey! However, even though costly, I feel that BCT planes are worth every penny, and I would love to see a larger plane such as a fore or jointer because I would bet they would be nothing less than amazing.

That's what's on my wishlist for now, and even if I don't see it, I am sure we'll all be impressed with whatever CT-15 is going to be :)
KWCabs

Like to see as CT

Postby User304316 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:14 am

I might suggest a face vice with an adjuster wheel like on the Studley workbench.
User304316

CT-15 Multi-Square

Postby Michael » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:15 pm

You can see the first images of the CT-15 Multi-Square on John's Blog.
http://www.bridgecitytools.com/blog/
Michael
Site Admin

Tool ideas

Postby Dennis » Sun May 10, 2009 6:53 am

I would like to see BCT develop some tools for "thinking profiles" John did sell some profile tools (PG-5,10,&13), but these are for a specific profile measurement. What I am thinking of is a tool which could be easily assembled / stored that would set up into a "box" that you could set a complex piece into in order to arrive at specific dimensions quickly. An example, would be to set a chair into this box. you could get the chair height, angle of seat, angle of back, width at (elevation), Height at (horizontal distance). Basically an X,Y,Z coordinate for any point within the box.

In my mind it would have a framework with a movable "square ring", and a "dimensioned plunger" that could be taken to the piece and, so at elevation "X" the depth from side A and B would be "Y" and "Z". If designed well, this would be a very effective and useful complement to the BCT arsenal.

It is possible that this could also be interfaced with a computer 3D cad program by developing a shop note pad that could be filled out using the jig, then entered into the program to get the basic dimensions recorded? I'm not sure about this, but it would be interesting to investigate.

While I am "wishing", I would like to see John also come out with a set of high quality "power bits" like Stanley used to make. We NEED these and they are no longer made. This is a bid that can enter wood at acute angles and cut a clean hole. They have a very long point and tapered back flutes so you can contact the wood with the point before the flute hits the wood. HELP us John!

Dennis
Dennis

Re: Tool ideas

Postby davidg » Sun May 10, 2009 9:26 am

User303267 wrote:While I am "wishing", I would like to see John also come out with a set of high quality "power bits" like Stanley used to make. We NEED these and they are no longer made. This is a bid that can enter wood at acute angles and cut a clean hole. They have a very long point and tapered back flutes so you can contact the wood with the point before the flute hits the wood. HELP us John!

Dennis

The "box" you're wishing for sounds like a bit of a challenge...

But, Lee Valley is making their version of the old Stanley Powerbore bits. LV calls them Greenwood Bits. Look on their website under "Specialty Bits".
davidg

Postby Dennis » Sun May 10, 2009 8:22 pm

Thanks for the info. I already have a set of the greenwood bits and they are functional, but not nearly as good as the old power bits. The Stanly bits were designed to cut precise holes, the greenwood bits don't do as well. I did recently get a full set of power bits on e-bay. Most were in good shape, but the supply will not last for ever. I do appreciate the help in any case. I thought I had found the solution when I found the greenwood bits too.
Dennis

Return to CT exchange