Advice on slipping needed.

Advice on slipping needed.

Postby john.wishneusky@alum.mit.edu » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:31 am

I tried my first project with the kerfmaker this week - using it to size the dado cuts for small shop drawers to fit the dadoes in the sides of small box cabinets. I'm doing the cutting on a sliding-table table saw with an incra fence to set the main position of each cut, using the kerfmaker to guide two saw-cuts to creat the width of the dado. For each cut, I'm gently sliding the pine board against the kerfmaker then sliding through the cut, flip the KM and repeat. Checking after about 40 cuts, I was a bit shocked to see how much narrower the dadoes had become. I finished by resetting the KM, re-doing the cuts and checking frequently with a dial caliper to insure I'd not slipped the KM adjustment (which did happen another time or two).

I'd tightened the setting knobs as much as I could by finger pressure and I've reasonably strong hands/fingers. Short of modifying the knurled knobs to increase my grip or adding some sort of wrench/spanner slots have you any advice on avoiding this problem?

John
john.wishneusky@alum.mit.edu

Re: Advice on slipping needed.

Postby john.wishneusky@alum.mit.edu » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:02 am

Has no one experienced this? If you have, how have you dealt with it?

John

Postby rwest » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:38 pm

John,

I wonder if you used the Kerfmaker to set two flip stops instead of bumping the stock against the tool for each cut if that might give you the best results- wouldn't solve the problem of the tool slipping, but might keep your cuts repeatable.

Best,
Rutager
rwest

Postby Ggolchert@aol.com » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:17 pm

John
I just received my Kerfmaker today and I really like it. I looked at it and thought about your problem. I think if you turned the calibration knob in the wrong direction so the know is tight against the top bar it might slip. If you look at it with a light in back of it you should see a slight gap between the knob and the top bar. I hope this helps.

Gordon
Ggolchert@aol.com

Postby john.wishneusky@alum.mit.edu » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:24 pm

Gordon,

No, I checked and the knobs are tightened properly. Machinists tap pieces held in vices into position, so I shouldn't be too surprised these slick anodized parts don't take much of a tap to move relative to each other.

I'm going to have to do something to increase the tightening torque, either create notches or pin holes for a little custom spanner or think of something else.

For a project like the one I just did, I believe I'll cut a hardwood shim to produce the offset I need - no chance of that slipping.

Thanks,

John

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:34 pm

If I had seen this I would have posted straight away. I have not had slipping but that is only because I could see immediately that it would not hold tolerance. The tightening screws are just too small. This slipping of things, and I ain't pointing fingers...ok, maybe I am..is a bit systemic in a many of the tools. Let's say T-bevels with a small knurled nut that's supposed to stop it from moving. Not going to work. Shouldn't go out the door before that design hurdle is fixed but you see it over and over.
Anyway..on production runs I cut a small block of wood to fit each empty space in the Kerfmaker and tape into place.
Done.
paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com

Return to General Uses