KM-1 Hinge Mortising on Router Table

KM-1 Hinge Mortising on Router Table

Postby rwest » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Hello,

It occured to me that the Kerfmaker could be used for more than just fitting wood into a groove. I first used this method to mill the cavity for the DJ-1 in my DJ-1 vacumm jig, and it worked fantastic! I'm now building a jewelry box and needed to make the mortises for the hinges. The photos below are of my test set up to determine proper depth of cut on scrap before I did the real deal.

This photo shows using the KM-1 in an unconventional way as a straight edge for zeroing out the bit to the table before setting my height with the router table's digital readout.

Sizing the hinge in the KM-1, I already have the router bit kerf registered in the tool using the published instructions.

Here, I've set the one MDF stop for the far edge of the mortise and then by setting the KM-1 flush with the edge of my stock, set the other stop, giving me a "fenced in" area for routing the length. The width is set by the bits protusion from the router table's fence, and the depth of course is the height of the bit.

The mortises after squaring the corners.

And the finished test!

Using the KM-1 for mortises works very well and may even give the apprearance of me being some sort of craftsman!

-Rutager
rwest

Postby ForumMFG » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:23 am

Rutager,

Thanks for posting your technique. I never thought of that and it will be handy in the future. Now only if we could get more people to post their idea's!
ForumMFG

Postby rwest » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:38 pm

Thanks Dave,

I will be posting an accessory jig for setting the "boundry" fences when I have a chance to build it. In my orginal post I show setting the offset by using your eye or small straight edge to register the boundry, and I'm not thrilled with that method and would rather set it by capturing the KM-1 between two surfaces. After much thought, I have come up with a better way and will build it in the next couple of weeks and then post photos and information.

-Rutager
rwest

Return to General Uses