difficulty lowering blade and not cutting straight

A discussion about the Single Wing Jointmaker.

difficulty lowering blade and not cutting straight

Postby dave@wiseriverforestry.com » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:02 pm

I installed a new blade. The black blade guide is aligned as per manual. If I pinch the blade between guides and then tighten the grey blade guide screws, I have difficulty lowering the blade. The blade seems to raise up ok, but get's hung up on the way down. If I keep the grey blade guide very loose, I'm able to lower the blade without it getting hung up. Any thoughts on possible cuases?
I'm also getting some significant blade deflection when cutting stock over 1" thick, even light wood such as wester red cedar. Not sure if these two problems are related, but help with either would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
dave@wiseriverforestry.com

Re: difficulty lowering blade and not cutting straight

Postby rwest » Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:49 am

Hi Dave,

I think both of your problems may be related to the shim washers that go between the grey guide and the black upright mounting bracket. Maybe double check that they are between the grey piece and the black piece and not between the screw head and the black upright. If they're in the proper location, you may need a slightly fatter shim washer. Bridge City supplied me with a couple thicker ones a few years ago- can't remember the specs off hand.

Best,
Rutager
rwest

Re: difficulty lowering blade and not cutting straight

Postby dave@wiseriverforestry.com » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:08 am

Thanks Rutager,

I think I have them in the right place as they are inserted on the back side of the screw in between the grey guide and where the guide fastens to the spine. As I understand from the manual, two shim washer go between each guide (black and gray) at the front end (blade lifting handle side) only of the JM. I assume there are no shim washers on the opposite side? Perhaps I do need a thicker shim as you suggest. Any other ideas out there?

Thanks,
Dave
dave@wiseriverforestry.com

Return to Jointmaker SW