Fixed table vs sliding.

A discussion about the Single Wing Jointmaker.

Fixed table vs sliding.

Postby rwest » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:19 pm

Hi John,

I know that there are some limitations to what the SW version can do, but is there anything that the SW performs better at and can the fixed table be attached to the JMP for these tasks.

-Rutager
rwest

Postby John » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:18 pm

Rutager;

The JM-SW does the following things differently than the JMP;

1. The blade tilts to 45 degrees in one direction only and up to 15 degrees the other direction (for dovetails primarily).

2. The fence system is all wood, and the trap clamp is as long as the fence to equal the stock clamping ability of the JMP

3. Obviously, there is only one sliding table

4. It uses the new linear bearing system (so too will the existing JMP's with an upgrade kit)

5. It is smaller in width and we will make a stand for this tool (it will not fit on the current JMP/JMP v2 stand).

That said, it will make almost all of the cuts as the JMP. Because the fall- off side of the stock is unsupported the finish cut on the fall off piece almost always has a very small burr at the top where the wood would rather break than be sawn. But this can be rectified if it is an issue with a sliding fixture...

The extruded stationary table contains a standard miter gage groove (3/4 x 3/8) and two additional t-slots that fit 1/4-20 hex heads. The miter gage groove can be used as a track for a fixture that is fixed to the sliding table but glides guided in the miter gage slot sacrificing some cutting depth. This is how one would make squiggle wood on the JM-SE for example.

So as of this writing, I cannot think of one reason (other than cost and simplicity) of where the JM-SW is better than the JMP or the JMPv2.

I am sure there will be more questions after we formally announce the tool but for now this should help.

--John
John
Site Admin

Fixed table option for the JMP pro

Postby savatteridesigns » Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:48 am

John,

Yesterday I was watching a friends kid (Miles) as the mom had a to make a visit to a hospital. As he is getting into woodworking (he goes to a kids workshop at a local woodworker once a month) we (he) came up with a project to make a candle holder. (That incorporates the JMP -naturally!)

After boring out out a hole on the drill press (I don't as of yet have the right size forstner bit to use the DJ-1) we went about cutting the wooden washers to insert the candles into what will eventually be mounted to blocks that will make up the candle holders.

This is actually his second time using the JMP (when he was at my home a few weeks ago, in a corner work area in a study where the JMP occasionally lives, he was cutting some slices of baltic birch) He got quite quickly the double crank - cut - cut - withdraw the blade -use the stop - set up the next cut dance. Upon observing him I couldn't help but think that in this scenario that having the option of having a fixed table top to catch the small parts as they leave the cut would be nice feature.

I know in this case I could have set up a fence that traverses both tables that would then catch the fall-offs (as in the first JMP video -back when) But in this case with this little guy and in other cases, let's say when doing mitering cuts where the second table would be not not so useful - having the option to switch out the up and coming bearing / table combo and putting in a fixed table that extends from front to back would be something I would order as an accessory.

The question then becomes - will the fixed table of the JMP "junior" be able to be rigged up to the JMP Pro. The whole switch out operation shouldn't take more than 5 minutes, because I assume that the table that's mounted to the bearing panel could be removed as one unit. And if the fixed tops don't interchange "could" one be made available as a preorder for the JMP pro?

More comments to follow......I'm just getting warmed up. :D

Roger

savatteridesigns

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:02 pm

I am really starting to like the JM-SW.

Setup for miters is simpler. With only one fence, there are fewer knobs and bolts to move around. The one fence lets you move things around faster

While the new linear bearing system solves any of the old JM-P slider friction, the JM-SW has just the one rail. So, there is even less friction and less potential for things to go out of square. If you really think about it, and this is really splitting hairs, the JM-SW is potentially more accurate than the JM-P(v2).

[/i]
Michael
Site Admin

Postby rwest » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:04 pm

Michael,

Wouldn't using just one side of the JMP make it just as simple as the SW as far as seting up one fence and only worrying about the friction and square of one side? Of course you wouldn't have the long fixed table to catch the off cuts. Which brings me to my brilliant idea(first one's free!) since the old tables will not be used on the linear update, could you and John figure out a way that we could attach one(or both) of the old tables in front of a new one on the new rail so that we could temporarly make a long fixed table on the JMP? My thought is that it might be as simple as adding some threaded holes to the rail and possibly a spacer. The old table(s) would double the surface(or triple it) and stop the new table from moving.

Rutager
rwest

Postby Michael » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:56 am

That is a worthwhile idea!
How much for you next one?

You could probably us a strap, like a strip of aluminum to screw the table together from underneath using those 8-32 holes that are in the tables already. You would then have to support the tables on the new rail. That could be made quite easily out of wood.

We'll look into it further.
Michael
Site Admin

Postby rwest » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:20 pm

Michael,

I'm glad you liked the idea! As far as pricing goes for more ideas, it would be based on how good the idea is and what the market will bear, so to answer your question; the rest will be free too!

But seriously, I do hope you take a look at how it could work, and maybe it would be a little something extra to make the upgrade easier to "swallow" for some people, and they could sell their second table to people who buy V2 so they can have the fixed section also!

-Rutager
rwest

Postby ForumMFG » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:24 pm

John,

In your post above you made this comment:

"That said, it will make almost all of the cuts as the JMP. Because the fall- off side of the stock is unsupported the finish cut on the fall off piece almost always has a very small burr at the top where the wood would rather break than be sawn. But this can be rectified if it is an issue with a sliding fixture... "

I'm not to sure I completely understnad what you mean? Can you better explain how the issue of the burr can be fixed on the JMP SW?

While I'm at it, what is the Idea behind the wooden fences now just on the JMP-SW? Was it a cost issue or something else? If I wanted the same metal fence on the JMPv2 would I be able to purchase it?
ForumMFG

Postby John » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:51 pm

When the fall-off side of the stock is unsupported during the very last pass, the fall of piece breaks away from the parent stock rather than being cut. The burr is about .005-.010" in width, and comes off with a stroke or two of sandpaper/file.

To avoid this (it is only an issue if the fall-off is to be used) the fall-off piece needs to be clamped in place so it cannot succumb to the pressure of the blade which is cutting from the bottom up.

You would need to make a shop-made sled that fastens to the moving table and tracks in the miter gage groove on the stationary table--similar to a sled on a table saw.

I won't be able to answer the metal fence for the JMP-SW until next week--I am on holiday at the moment.

Yes, in an effort to reduce cost, we went to a wood system.

--John
John
Site Admin

Re: Fixed table vs sliding.

Postby brandonpeterson789@gmail.com » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:58 am

How do you align the sliding table saw carriage to the blade. I am not referring to the cross cut fence. I mean how to you make the sliding table itself parallel to the blade. Where should you measure? It does not make sense to me to measure at the blade because if the sliding table is skewed it will still pass the blade at the same point. Is placing a 3 foot straight edge against the blade and then measuring at the two ends of the straight edge to the slot on the table a viable method?
brandonpeterson789@gmail.com

Return to Jointmaker SW