How much longitudinal play = "no play"?

A discussion about the second version of the Jointmaker Pro

Moderator: Michael

How much longitudinal play = "no play"?

Postby » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:39 am

I could have labeled this as Jointmaker Pro V2 Assembly Stupid Question #1 as I'm sure it will be the first of many (smile)

At assembly step 3, I have residual longitudinal play in the front shaft equal to 0.002". There is no longitudinal play in the rear shaft, just the 0.002 in the front shaft assembly. Mechanically, this looks to be unavoidable as there is no shimming option in the bearing block and the play is really a function of the distance between the face of the bearing block and back of the gear on the front shaft assembly itself.

Before the burn in step, I'd like to be confident that this small amount of play is within specs. If not, some suggestions on how to remove the play would be helpful.

Re: How much longitudinal play = "no play"?

Postby John » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:18 am

The 0.002" longitudinal play will not be an issue, you can burn away.

Site Admin

Re: How much longitudinal play = "no play"?

Postby » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:19 am

Cool. Assumed as much but doesn't hurt to ask.

Knowing that the bearing block pins are a new addition from prior revisions, I did rotate the bearing blocks in case they were drilled slightly off-center . . . no, they weren't <smile>.

In the unlikely event that the longitudinal play increases after burn-in, a brass washer made of appropriately sized shim stock on the shaft between the handle-side bearing block and shaft threads will solve the problem for anyone else with anal-retentive tendencies like mine <smile>.

Return to Jointmaker Pro v2