Binding with saw guides tightened.

A discussion about the second version of the Jointmaker Pro

Moderator: Michael

Binding with saw guides tightened.

Postby rossorabbit@hotmail.com » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:19 pm

Here is my problem, if I have the gray saw guide loose, the transport system (keel) works beautifully, blade up and down smoothly, the moment I tighten the gray saw guide, the hole thing binds. I cleaned the saw guides, both gray and black, I made sure the black saw guide was flush with the guides, etc and still no joy. After I cleaned them it is a lot better, but still about half an inch from the top down the blade binds, after I get past this point it works fine. Any pointers?
rossorabbit@hotmail.com

Re: Binding with saw guides tightened.

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:25 pm

I'm a new owner as well and the same thing happened to me. When I was assembling the blade guides, the black one went on fine, the gray one would not go into the slot. The video says the two shim washers are in case there are differences between the black and gray and I figured my gray one was a bit longer than the black. I took out one of the shim washers from the gray stack and was able to pop it into place.

After installing the blade it was difficult to raise up and down and I thought I squeezed the gray guide too tightly to the blade when I tightened it.

But after assembling the rest of the saw and was attempting to use the allen wrench method of aligning the blade I noticed the blade was bowed. Took me some thinking to figure it out but I put back in the correct stack of shim washers in the gray guide and all was good.
paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com

Postby rossorabbit@hotmail.com » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:10 am

Thanks Paul, Michael and Consuelo helped me and are sending me a few washers, apparently even a slight difference in length will make a difference. BTW, everybody at BCT has been very helpful, the reason I buy from them. They even offered to send me and assembled keel.
rossorabbit@hotmail.com

Postby nick.with.a.z@gmail.com » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:37 pm

Thanks Paul - hopefully that'll fix my problem too - at least if I can get some spare washers!
nick.with.a.z@gmail.com

Return to Jointmaker Pro v2