Keel assembly tip

A discussion about the second version of the Jointmaker Pro

Moderator: Michael

Keel assembly tip

Postby jesasinowski » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:30 pm

Even after reviewing the keel assembly video, assembling & burning it in twice, I was still frustrated by the stiffness of my keel assembly. I had followed all the instructions, checked all the alignment points for binding, and it still took a lot of effort to turn the crank.

As I disassembled it once again, I kept careful track of when the mechanism became freer. This happened when the rear height screw assembly was freed to rotate after I removed the rear spine guide. If I let it rotate, the mechanism was easy to turn, but if I held it in a fixed orientation (as when trapped in the rear spine guide), it was very difficult to turn.

A few minutes of cleaning up the threads on the rear height screw assembly with a die, and everything worked smoothly.

The tip: If your keel assembly is binding, test it during each step of disassembly. You should be able to narrow down one source of problem, fix it, and move forward from there.

Also, be aware that the _front_ height screw has a reverse (left-handed) thread - a normal die will destroy, rather than clean up, the threads.

I suppose that one could argue that I should have found & fixed this while building the keel, rather than having to debug it later. The catch is not knowing what is a reasonable amount of force the first time you build one of these devices...
jesasinowski

Postby John » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:28 am

Sorry to learn of your assembly experience, but happy you were able to solve the issues.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

John
John
Site Admin

Return to Jointmaker Pro v2