Assembling the Keel - video link!

A discussion about the second version of the Jointmaker Pro

Moderator: Michael

Assembling the Keel - video link!

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:22 pm

We did a rough video of John assembling the Keel on the JMP-V2, (which is identical in the JM-SW) (It was basically done in one take so excuse the flubs and poor camera work...)
The major difference from the original Jointmaker is that we introduce a new step in the process where we "burn-in" the bearings. This was an incredible discovery and we thoroughly recommend doing it.

Check out the video here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZyLWyM28-I

Download an iphone/ipad version here:
http://www.bridgecitytools.com/videos/JMPv2_KeelAssembly.m4v.zip

Burn-in step begins at moment 5:30 in the video.
Last edited by Michael on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
Site Admin

Postby AlaskaRanger » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:30 pm

Mike and John -

Burning in the bearings is an intriguing concept and was fun to do. Was this your discovery, or is it a trick well known in industry and was a discovery only for you?

I'm also wondering if it is necessary to know the quality of bearings, races and so on - that is, in another situation might trying this trick lead to tears, sadness and a burned-up mess?
AlaskaRanger

Postby John » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:41 am

It is not uncommon to "burn in" non ball bearings.

In the case of the Jointmaker bearings which are milled from acetyl (aka Delrin), we felt it best to add this step because of all the variables that can occur not only on the mfg. side (tolerance stacks) but on the assembly side.

This step is important for all of the above and helps us here at BCTW diagnose issues more accurately should they occur during the assembly process.

Over the past two weeks I personally assembled 25 or so JMP's and on two keels I needed to burn in the bearings for about 7 minutes. All of the others were done in the 3-4 minute range.

FYI, the two threaded components that spin in the keel are in Oil-lite bearings made from sintered bronze impregnated with oil.

Depending on the specific circumstances, burning-in a bearing may be an effective way to properly align a shaft with the bearing surface. It also could accelerate wear (not an issue with the JMP...low rpm, no load) so as always, good judgment should rule the day....

Good judgment comes from experience--experience comes from bad judgment.

--John
John
Site Admin

Return to Jointmaker Pro v2