Upgraded my JMP - Less than one hour and WOW

A discussion about the second version of the Jointmaker Pro

Moderator: Michael

Upgraded my JMP - Less than one hour and WOW

Postby neilc » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:00 pm

The upgraded rails, bearings, and tables arrived today. I had one of the original JointMaker Pros and ordered the upgrade kit when it was first announced.

Took me less than an hour to change out the rails, tables, and re-align everything. All I can say is WOW. It's a lot easier to push and control. Slightly noiser than the old style, but worth it for the smoothness and accuracy.

John - you did a great job in improving an already awesome tool. The smoothness of cut is outstanding. It's definitely heavier with the new round rails, but the heft is a welcome addition given the new mechanism.

I had seen the earlier prototype with the boxed-in rails and I'm glad you kept with the evolution to come up with the round rails and bearings. Seems quieter than the prototype I had seen at the Lie Nielsen show in Chicago. Plus removing the fence is a piece of cake with open design.

Many thanks for making the upgrade available.

neil
neilc

Postby Cory » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:31 pm

Worked great for me too. Only glitch was metal shavings down in the thread holes of the steel bars. I ended up using a rare-earth magnet against a nail to clean them out.
Cory

Postby John » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:30 am

Neil-

Glad to learn you like the new linear table system!

Michael really deserves much credit here as he found the supplier that straightens the rods...

The change caused a three month delay in production, but like you, we are thrilled with the results.

Thanks for your post (you too Cory!)

-John
John
Site Admin

Postby rwest » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:54 pm

John,

The upgrade is phenomenal! I'm not sure if my saw is still powerless, it sure feels like there's a motor in there now. The movement of the tables are so fluid, and cutting through wood happens so easily that it's hard to believe that the saw is making the cut! Thanks for putting in all the extra effort to improve on an already great design. Kudos to Michael for sourcing the rods. I guess you've proven untrue the saying "spare the rod, spoil the child!"

-Rutager
rwest

Conversion delayed....

Postby Stumper » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:29 pm

Oh dirty words and bad names!
Received the conversion kit and commenced removal of the bars from the end plates of the saw. Ran into a problem; I removed all the screws holding the bars to the end plates, except one. I could not turn the screw. It looked as though there was some glue(?) or compacted sawdust in the allen recess of the screw head restricting access of the allen wrench to a depth that would allow it to turn the screw. Found my dental pick and attempted to pick it out. No luck. Upon closer inspection, it appeared that I had separated the screw head from the screw body but there was enough of the screw body left to secure the bar to the end plate. I called Michael and we discussed the problem for the better part of fifteen minutes. We couldn't figure out a way to separate the two peices without seriously damaging the end plate. I asked one of the other guys in the shop if he had a small punch so that I could punch the end and then hopefully drill out the screw. No luck! He came over to look at the problem. With his much younger and better eyes, he quickly spotted the problem. The end of the ball-tipped allen wrench had broken off and remained in the recess of the screw! He tipped the saw up and out came the ball end revealing access to the entire recess in the screw head thus allowing full depth access for a normal allen wrench and the intact screw was quickly removed. Total time elapesed, about three hours!
Moral of the story: don't use ball-tipped allen wrenches on small screw recesses.
The more unfortunate part of this episode is that I had to leave the unassembled saw as is until after Thanksgiving because we are leaving so I won't get to play with it until next week.
Stumper

What a difference!

Postby User304663 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:35 pm

Well worth the wait. The saw reminds me of the precision of my JDS Multi-router. I'm glad you took the extra time to perfect the saw. This is what we've come to expect from Bridge City Tool Works. Thanks for making a good saw into a Great one!
User304663

Postby User303518 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:00 am

upgraded my saw last evening in a little over an hour. what a nice feel. had quite recently replaced the blade and recalibrated to square and parallel. when i retested for parallelism to the new tables it was dead on.

now, anyone thinking of using the old rails and tables as outrigger supports for the updated unit?
User303518

Postby rwest » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:17 am

Great idea using the old rail for outriggers, I've had a couple ideas myself after taking them off. I hope everyone will post any uses that they come up with.

-Rutager
rwest

Postby John » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:28 pm

We are SO HAPPY you folks are enjoying the upgrade--it did take us awhile to test out the new system but we are really pleased too.

Hey, quick question; we believe the quality of the cut has improved 10-20% (not that it needed it) but what is your experience in the field with this new system? I suspect the added mass is a real plus, but that is just our experience.

Lastly, 80% of the JMPv2's shipped out this Wed. The balance will go out next week.

--John
John
Site Admin

Postby neilc » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:12 pm

John

I'm definitely noticing that it cuts easier and better with the upgrade. More energy is now diverted into sawing the wood and less in overcoming friction of the table I would guess.

I just completed a small table made from lacewood - some of the cuts were 1 1/2 inches square cross cuts and I noticed that cutting it was significantly easier than I remembered with the pre-upgraded version. This particular table was 'in process' when I did the upgrade, so I had experienced cutting some pieces on both versions of the saw over a couple of weeks. The new version cuts seem to be a bit smoother.

I'm also noticing that there is no longer a difference depending on the temperature / humidity in my workshop. With the earlier version, you'd definitely notice the impact on the guides.

neil
neilc

Postby rwest » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:02 pm

John,

I just spent some time "playing" with the new set up, and yes, I think that the surface left behind after cutting is noticeably smoother; dang near perfect on walnut! The action is so fluid that I find myself just staring at the blade as the table is flying by. I hope I don't go cross eyed.

-Rutager
rwest

Conversion complete...

Postby Stumper » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:06 am

Okay, now I can skip the dirty words and bad names. The conversion kit has been installed and the difference is very noticeable. Skipping the problem with the broken ball-end allen wrench, the process took about an hour and that includes reading the instructions when I discovered I should have done so in the first place.

Nice going John and gang!

Wayne
Stumper

Return to Jointmaker Pro v2