JMP-v2 - Threaded Holes in Tabletops

A discussion about the second version of the Jointmaker Pro

Moderator: Michael

JMP-v2 - Threaded Holes in Tabletops

Postby savatteridesigns » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:48 am

Just a mention about the threaded holes in the new table tops for the JMP-v2, -SW & Upgrade kits. ...

They are going to be 10/32" verses the 8/32" on the JMP-v1, this is a good thing.

The purpose of these threaded holes is - in order to attach jigs and to ease in work holding methods as you see fit down the line.

(I don't believe I mentioned this earlier, I actually just noticed this yesterday when I had the v1 & v2 versions next to each other.)

At some point Michael will inform me as to the "class" of the 10/32" thread.
Within the Imperial system you have coarse and fine threads -within each of those divisions you have classes.
The class of the thread in combination with the threaded machine screws will determine whether your fit is tight or a little wiggly.

-Roger
savatteridesigns

Re: JMP-v2 - Threaded Holes in Tabletops

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:25 pm

Yes, I found that out.
I first went to the owner's manual to see if they mention screw size and nothing. Seems like the place that it should logically be. I remembered some entry on the jig/accessory side of the forum and saw it was 8/32 and walked to my local hardware. Came back with 18 screws the wrong size and decided to take off the tabletop and take it with me and trudged back to the store.
Later I see your thread on this.
I did find out though that when I took off the tabletop and was looking at it while walking back to the hardware that it's not flat. I could see that with my eye. I also see there's another entry on this as well on the forum.
paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com

Postby Michael » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:07 am

HI Paul.
Sorry about all of the walking you had to do.

With the new linear table system that we developed with the V2, the bearing blocks straddle the 2 slots in the tables, which flatten the tables if there is any cupping. We stress relieve the plates prior to cutting the slots in them, but with so much material removed there, some cupping can still happen.

Parts of the reason the bearing blocks are so stout is to be able to fasten the tables down securely and create the flat surface we need.

Michael
Michael
Site Admin

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:58 am

Yes, I noticed that are reasonable flat when attached to the blocks, not 100% but close enough I guess.

Was thinking though...would I gain anything by having a machinist friend of mine fashion a couple replacement tables out of steel plate? I see where you caution against clamping and distortion of the table and thought maybe the steel would deflect less.

Postby Michael » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:22 pm

I don't think you will gain much with steel tables.

You can use the over head cam clamp. WIth the v2 style, they do work ok.
We will be selling one shortly too. Take a look at John's blog.

Michael
Site Admin

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:28 pm

Yes, I saw those and they look great but he also mentions he positioned them incorrectly and by that I assume he means that moving them off line creates distortion in the plates.

Postby Michael » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:01 pm

Right, it is possible to distort the plates with where he has it pictured. Ideally, the clamps are positioned between the set of bearing blocks.

There does not need to be much pressure to hold the wood down. You are only trying to counteract the force of the blade pushing up against the wood. It is probably only 15 pounds of pressure. The clamps work well, and for some applications are easier than the wooden Jaws.

The extra 9 or so pounds of extra weight that steel tables would add would create a lot more inertia. The saw would probably want to walk across the room as it hit into the back side.
Michael
Site Admin

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:26 pm

The extra 9 or so pounds of extra weight that steel tables would add would create a lot more inertia. The saw would probably want to walk across the room as it hit into the back side.

True that.

Postby Michael » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:47 pm

I do wonder how the cut would "feel" though. With that extra weight, would it feel smoother as you pushed? Meaning, would the extra weight let the tables carry themselves through the cut easier.

Interesting thought!
Michael
Site Admin

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:47 pm

I was thinking the same thing. I "finished" one of Ron Brese's infill smoother plane kits and the extra weight of that moving through the wood made me wonder about if heavier plates would accomplish the same thing..deaden the moving parts and smoothing the cut?

Postby heidtwd@att.net » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:45 am

To check out the inertial effect you could clamp a block of steel to the table and try it out. This would avoid making the steel tables and being disappointed withe way they felt.
heidtwd@att.net

Return to Jointmaker Pro v2