Cutting plexiglas?

A discussion about the second version of the Jointmaker Pro

Moderator: Michael

Cutting plexiglas?

Postby User306779 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:54 am

Hello everybody. I'm looking for a good quality saw to cut small and 45° angled Plexiglas tiles. The thickness of this tiles is just 0.1 inch. The concept of the JMP looks very convincing, and I love the fact that it runs on muscle power – but does it cut Plexiglas too?

Thanks for letting me know; Chris
User306779

Postby savatteridesigns » Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:41 am

Short answer . . .

nope.

Longer answer . . .

Not with the selection of blades at present,
plexiglass, composites are not friends of the 28tpi japanese blade or the other two choices.

For more in-depth inofrmation on the blades, please refer to post #5 of my review of the JMP about a year ago -
on Saw Blade Changes, Operation and Longevity here.....

http://festoolownersgroup.com/other-tool-reviews/the-complete-'jointmaker-pro'-review-a-paradigm-shift-in-woodworking/msg45112/?topicseen

savatteridesigns

Postby John » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:57 pm

If anybody knows of a handsaw that cuts plexi, we want to buy one and perhaps figure out if it is adaptable to the JMP.

I did manage to cut through a 1" acrylic rod; the blade was completely trashed and the cut was uglier than a dead toad on a Texas highway.

--John
John
Site Admin

Postby SteveOH » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:51 pm

I think a sharp rip profile with zero rake would probably work best, as a carbide circular/table saw blade in that configuration does a decent job. The biggest challenge is keeping the material from overheating; as soon as it starts softening, the cut turns to mush. You probably need to use a lubricant to get the best finish. Water-based soap-type lubricants are recommended for acrylic.

-Steve
SteveOH

Re: Cutting plexiglas?

Postby boulangerj@videotron.ca » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:10 pm

Hi everyone, I am new here and awaiting for my JMP.

Wondering if the JMP Pro blade will cut Aluminium T-Tracks,without harm to the blade?
Thank You,
Jean
boulangerj@videotron.ca

Postby John@bridgecitytools.com » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:11 am

Folks-

I have cut plexiglas and it is an ugly cut and ruins a $25 blade. So NO.

Interestingly, lots of people have inadvertently cut their aluminum precision fence by accident - including me. You don't know it is happening until you see aluminum dust on the tables... it too ruins blades. So, NO.

John
John@bridgecitytools.com

Postby patriotcraftsman@gmail.com » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:49 am

If you are looking into cutting plexiglass this is the saw you will need. http://knewconcepts.com/precisionMk3.php
patriotcraftsman@gmail.com

Return to Jointmaker Pro v2