Walking of stand.

A discussion about the second version of the Jointmaker Pro

Moderator: Michael

Walking of stand.

Postby rwest » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:59 pm

Hi John,

What are your impressions of the new smooth sliding tables effect on the stand "walking" around in use?

-Rutager
rwest

Postby Dennis » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:33 pm

I'm hoping this problem will be minimized with the new system, but I don't believe it will totally change since the resistance comes primarily from the interface of the saw to the wood in my opinion (especially on larger pieces). I did solve it using John's suggestion of a rubber floor mat. I actually had some truck re-tread samples which were about 7 ft. long which worked perfectly. I put the tread down (rubber on the road) so to speak, and the problem went away. I can stand on the rubber and the legs stick to the softer surface. Concrete just would not hold the saw in place.

Dennis
Dennis

Postby rwest » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:32 pm

Hi Dennis,

That must be one heavy mat! I did a very casual search for a suitable mat and didn't find one that I liked. My shop is pretty small and I can't seem to stop bringing in more tools, so I like putting things on mobile bases. I had posted a query asking if anyone had tried this and didn't get a response. So I saw Rockler advertising an adjustable HTC base on sale for about 30 bucks. I picked one up and it wouldn't open up large enough to fit the JMP base, that is until I did a few modifications! Keep in mind that because the JMP's base is flared and adjustable, it's footprint changes with height. I have found that with the mobile base lowered onto it's rubber feet that it moves a lot less and I think I may be able to add some rubber pieces that will help even more. I have been meaning to post some photos of the set up some day for others that may be interested. Even though the JMP is pretty light, I need to move it around to use the tablesaw or do laundry! So it is very handy to be able to roll it.

-Rutager
rwest

Postby savatteridesigns » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:11 pm

Tomorrow when I'm in the shop I'll take some specific photos on how I get around the walking by tying it to the wall. There might be some glimpse of it scattered around here in the meantime.

That reminds me, I'm overdo with a submittal!
I'll get on it.

Roger
savatteridesigns

Return to Jointmaker Pro v2