AVAILABLE:Collection Brass/Rosewood signature/commemorative

Questions and thoughts about collecting tools.

AVAILABLE:Collection Brass/Rosewood signature/commemorative

Postby kwiatrose@optonline.net » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:18 pm

I just recently discovered my late husband's sizable collection of Commemorative & signature series (signed by John Econamaki [sp?] ) tools tucked away which he purchased back in 1992 - 1994. These are, of course, all discontinued, have never been used and are in their original boxes, wrapped in plastic along with Certificates of Authenticity. I am in the process of determining their market value as I intend to sell them.
My husband bought them for their beauty and future value so I'm hoping there is a collector out there who would want to purchase these, not so much for using them, but for THEIR collection.
A short list: PT1 Precision Trammel, CT1 Squevel, DC40 Dividing Compass, CS1 Center Scribe, BL9 Bench Level & many more.

If anyone reading this either knows an interested party or, themselves, are interested, please reply here.
Thank you very much.
P.S. Should anyone be able to offer any assistance in determining their value, I would greatly appreciate it! :)
kwiatrose@optonline.net

Re: AVAILABLE:Collection Brass/Rosewood signature/commemorat

Postby rwest » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:59 am

Hello,

I'm sorry about your loss.

Probably the best places to determine value would be on the bottom of this sites home page under "discontinued tools" and by looking at eBay under "Bridge City Tool." From my observations, it seems like they sell for about what they went for new or a little more.

Rutager
rwest

Postby kwiatrose@optonline.net » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:02 am

Thank you for your reply.
I have gone to discontinued tools & noted prices for some that I have. There are others not listed there. Haven't checked Ebay yet.
So, regardless of their signatures, 20+ years, condition, original boxes or authenticity certificates, you believe they have little or no added value as a "collection?"
kwiatrose@optonline.net

Postby rutagerwest1@gmail.com » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:00 am

I watch eBay on almost a daily basis and unfortunately, I think many of the people who bought the earlier tools are getting old and passing on, so it seems like in the last few months the market has been "flooded" with the beautiful brass and rosewood Bridge City tools.

Most of the tools from the first run have the signature so they aren't especially rare, although there are some rarer tools that will fetch higher amounts.

From my observation, selling tools in a group or collection result in much lower prices than selling individually. It also helps to time the sale when a particular tool hasn't been offered recently.

If it's any consolation, regular 20 year old hardware store tools would only get you pennies on the dollar, where these have held their value.

Rutager
rutagerwest1@gmail.com

Postby kwiatrose@optonline.net » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:55 am

Thank you again for your reply. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't devaluing these tools that my late husband loved so much. As I said, these have been stored away these 20+ years. He passed away in 1995 so all of them predate that year.

I will definitely check into the Ebay option for values and consider listing them there individually. Some of these particular tools are listed over $200-300 on the discontinued tools page.
Thanks again.....and Merry Christmas!
kwiatrose@optonline.net

Postby alleslie@ruraltel.net » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:20 pm

One thing to check on ebay is searching "Completed Auctions" for your items. This will give you an idea what similar items have sold for. Many times sellers first list with an unreasonable price and no one bids. You have to go through the "Advanced Search" function to search the sold items.
alleslie@ruraltel.net

Postby kwiatrose@optonline.net » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:02 pm

Thank you for that info. I don't often use/search Ebay but I definitely will check. Happy New Year!
kwiatrose@optonline.net

Return to Tool Collecting