Thoughts on saving the original box.

Questions and thoughts about collecting tools.

Thoughts on saving the original box.

Postby rwest » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:29 pm

It kind of amazes me how much an original box will increase the value of a tool to a collector, after all most of the time it's just a cardboard box which does nothing to increase the function of the tool.

I made the decision to get rid of boxes from tools that I use regularly and were made in "large" quanities. I haved saved the boxes for rare or limited edition tools. I would also keep the box if it was useful, such as holding spare parts or if needed to protect a more delicate tool.

Anybody have any other opinions?

Rutager
rwest

Postby PFranks » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:35 pm

I'm really torn on this, Rutager. On the one hand, I bought my tools to use. On the other hand, it's possible that I'll want to sell them if I can't interest my daughter in inheriting them. But those boxes take up a lot of much-needed storage space...

I suspect that I'll finally bite the bullet and trash the boxes.
PFranks

Postby rwest » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:48 pm

Space was also the driving force in my decision.

Currently I have my Commerative tools and other limited or rare tools stored in a gun safe right by my work bench, but it is getting full! and if the tools were out of their boxes it would be easier to get to them (yes, I buy tools to use! even rare ones.) and I could store more of them! Natasha talked me into a 25th anv. plane, and this will be one of very few tools I own that I will only marvel at but not use!

I was thinking of putting the boxes from my special tools in a box on top of the safe, so I would still have them, but they would be out of the way.

Rutager

P.S. Re-check my other posts, I'm just about positive the pictures work now!
rwest

Postby Dennis » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:22 pm

Regarding the boxes:
When I'm looking for tools, finding one "in the box" usually indicates to me the tool was well cared for, perhaps not thrown into a tool box, etc. Although I have bought tools without boxes I normally find these to be more heavily used or less cared for when I receive them. I'm in full agreement about the boxes taking up space and not having real value for ME. One thing I am doing with BCT tools is SLOWLY putting together some walnut cases (similar to the BCT design) for SETS of tools. As example the complete Amp-6i set (dial caliper on the AMP-6i, inside angle set, calculator, set up block, and manuals) in one case. I'm getting enough of these that I'm considering inlaying some ivory (from old piano keys) and inscribing the tool on this. I think this will INCREASE the value of the tools long term, but I'm really doing it for the fun of it. Just some thoughts.

Dennis
Dennis

Postby rwest » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:11 am

Dennis,

Any chance you could post some photos of your boxes? I was thinking of making a custom one for my AMP6i also, since there are several extra parts and the calculator.

Thanks, Rutager
rwest

Postby Dennis » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:54 pm

This one is still in the "design phase". I have some exceptionally nice black walnut. I harvested this tree next to a house because the owner wanted it taken out. It was a VERY old tree (about 4 ft. diameter) and the center of the main stem was somewhat hollow. The wood is incredibly colored with grey, red, black, purples, etc. Almost spalted walnut, (but not quite) I have a lot of walnut in my inventory and this is my "special stash" for things like this. If / when I get this one done, I will try to do a picture post of it. I think it will be fun to do.

I'm also thinking about a "case" for the HP-6 stuff. I want to do drop in trays with the soles, sharpening equipment, wood guides, etc. I also happen to have two of the HP-6 planes and two of the HP-6 V2 planes, so this will be a nice set. (No I'm not nuts) It was before kerfection...I had one of each and bought a large lot of BCT with the other two. I find this very beneficial though - I can set up multiple planes and it really helps when making boxes or other things where there is a lot of profile work to do. I'm waiting on this one though until John gets tired of the HP-6 (I hope he doesn't by the way) I would love to see many more soles for these. I also have the spare cutters for the next owner (I won't need them). I'm missing a few and hope they are available by order again) John, perhaps by special order??

Dennis
Dennis

Postby rwest » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:04 am

Dennis,

I'll look forward to the pictuers when you get the boxes made, it sounds like a great tree!

You're not the only one trying to claim you're not nuts! I have four of the brass bodies and two of the v2, along with several fence sets, all the profiles and hones, and many spare irons. I have been thinking of doing a case also, I have gotten as far as a simple sketch. I also hope the profiles keep coming (I love this plane!) so I figured I would build a modular case of some sort, so I could keep building drawers and frames that would hold say 4 or 8 soles and would attach with a sliding dovetail, and then a base would slide on. With a system like that I could add more storage space as needed and yet it would always appear finished. My thought was to also to make a mobile case that would hold a couple drawers and a body, if I wanted to bring a set to a job site.

Rutager
rwest

Return to Tool Collecting