Corner Bead On End Grain

A discussion about the use of the plane. Also a great place to exchange ideas, tricks, and set-ups.

Moderator: Michael

Corner Bead On End Grain

Postby JohnK » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:38 am

Hello, recently picked up an HP6v2 and am very much enjoying using it. Has anyone tried cutting corner beads on end grain? Wasn't sure if the high bedding angle might manage it and haven't has time to try yet. Also am concerned about possibly chipping blade. TIA! JK
JohnK

Postby rwest » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:54 pm

HI,

I just headed down to the shop and "chucked" up a corner bead set and put a piece of walnut in the vice, end grain up! It worked pretty good when I took a very slight cut. A more aggressive cut kind of opened up the pores. Of course you will need to use a backer board to manage any "blow out" at the end of the cut.

As far as chipping a blade, I can't see that happening. Hope this is helpful.

Rutager
rwest

Postby JohnK » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:47 am

Thanks Rutager, Appreciate the quick response! That sounds promising. I won't be back at my shop for some days so this at least gets my brain moving forward.

This is a new tool to me and it looks to have many possibilities. I'm curious how you and other folks are making use of it. I've seen the gorgeous frames one fellow is making elsewhere on this site. Just stunning! Also wondering if there are any other forums where its' use is being discussed?
JK
JohnK

Postby Michael » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:09 pm

I have not had too much luck with end grain.
The harder and tighter the grain, the better luck you will have. A very sharp blade and very light passes and you just might be able to get something to work. It will really depend on the wood.

Michael
Michael
Site Admin

Postby rwest » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:29 pm

Hi JK,

You are welcome, I also believe that I may be the "fella" who did the inlay frames you are thinking of. John was kind enough to do a story about my profilled inlays on his Blog. I had shown them to him when I took a CAD class he taught at Marc Adams. Also at the school he demonstrated the HP-6v2 and made a mention on how to set the fence for corner profiles. Later on during the week I went and got the plane and a piece of wood and "cornered" him to see how the fence is set up, turns out there is a simple and proper way to set the 45 fence to the corner profile. I took a photo to show it. You use a piece of wood and set the fence to be inline with the notch in the sole.

I hope you enjoy your HP-6, I think it just might be my favorite tool to use! If I can be of any help, let me know, I regularly check this forum, and very much hope it gets more use. Rutager

rwest

Postby JohnK » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:05 pm

Hi Rutager,

Thanks for the tip on lining up the fence. I've only used this plane for a few hours and it was a real pleasure. I hope to put it to good use in the future. It has already helped on a project that I was stuck on.

I didn't realize that those frames on the blog were yours. That is some beautiful work! Your handling of the inlay patterns and how they interact with the various shapes is very well done. It would be nice to see more pics of your work . Do you have a website?

JK
JohnK

Postby rwest » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:11 pm

JK,

Thanks for the compliment. I just do woodworking for fun and as an excuse to accumulate cool tools! So I don't have a web site. I'm currently working on a Maple and Cherry checkerboard inlay that I will be using the face bead sole set to finish it off with, I'll post some pictures when done.

Just a heads up, if you weren't aware BCTW has a 40% off sale on HP-6 soles going on until July 31st 2009. It won't help me since I have them all! but if you are thinking of adding some, now would be the time. I highly recommend all of the dados and for my inlay work I use the 3/16 size in the corner bead and corner cove for small boxes and frames, the "V" set is good to use to add the inlays into the work instead of the corners. Here is a look at how I used the cove to profile the inlay, and the "V" to install it.

Installed in the groove.

Mitered in to a sample piece. I like to do a mitered corner when demonstrating a molding, as the intersection of the molding details really "shines."

Rutager
rwest

Re: Corner Bead On End Grain

Postby Consuelo » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:15 pm

I'm responding in behalf of JohnK (to add photos as well):

Hi,

I'm responding to a question I posted a while back... Can you cut a corner bead on end grain with the HP6v2? I'm pleased to report that yes you can! The lid for a desk I am making for my wife required a 1/4" corner bead on 3 sides, 2 of which are end grain. I've cut this moulding in the past using scratch stock and scrapers but thought it would be an ideal opportunity to try the multi plane.

I removed what waste I could with a small block plane and then took multiple light passes. The blade was honed prior to use. It worked just fine.

The attached pics with red background show it freshly cut in the white. The pics with blue background show the same after about 20-25 coats of shellac had been applied and then rubbed out with 400 grit wet or dry paper and 4F Pumice.

You can see from the look of the small knot on the one side how cleanly it cut. I was very satisfied with the result.

JK

IMG_4892.JPG

IMG_4900.JPG

IMG_4923.JPG

IMG_8299.JPG
IMG_8299.JPG (64.59 KiB) Viewed 5352 times

IMG_8300.JPG
IMG_8300.JPG (39.2 KiB) Viewed 5352 times
Consuelo

Return to HP-6v2