Advice on setting fence for face bead soles?

A discussion about the use of the plane. Also a great place to exchange ideas, tricks, and set-ups.

Moderator: Michael

Advice on setting fence for face bead soles?

Postby rwest » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:12 pm

Hello,

I'm trying to use the face bead set to make a corner bead. I'm using the.375 set and I ended up with a slight oval shape. Rather than keep playing with the fence placement, I thought I would see if anyone could supply a photo of the best set up!

Thanks in andvance, Rutager
rwest

Postby John » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:43 pm

Rutager;

I have made corner beads with all the profiles and I understand your experience--here is how I solved it;

This takes a little practice and I use poplar to determine the best technique.

The secret is to stop before you reach the vertex on each of the two faces. This creates a high spot that can be blended by using the plane with a light cut not using the fence. The beading portion of the plane is used to accomplish the blend.

I am out of town at the moment but if this does not clarify this for you, we can make a video when I return.

Let me know.

-John
John
Site Admin

Postby rwest » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:32 pm

Hi John,

I clamped up a piece of poplar, and set the fence to be in line with the curve of the profile, then instead of running the face and edge seperately, I took a few passes on the face and then a few on the edge. I continued until it was close to being round, and then removed the fence as you advised and took a few light passes all around the round part of the profile. BINGO! just the trick. I'm trying to incorporate this profile with some custom inlay, and it's starting to seem very do-able! Thanks for the help. I'll get some pictures posted if I can get the (img) to work or I'll sent them to you.

Rutager.
rwest

Return to HP-6v2