Dovetailing, Is A Fence Needed

A discussion about the use of the plane. Also a great place to exchange ideas, tricks, and set-ups.

Moderator: Michael

Dovetailing, Is A Fence Needed

Postby garyfergus@hotmail.com » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:56 am

I'd like to order the sliding dovetail kit, but it seems to need both a HP-6v2 body and also a HP-6v2 fence (at least according to the accompanying photos). The body appears to be in stock, but not the fence.

Have I missed something, or is sliding dovetails something only for existing owners of the HP-6v2?

Thanks.
garyfergus@hotmail.com

Re: Dovetailing, Is A Fence Needed

Postby PFranks » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:09 am

You can buy the new fence system here (it's blue in the picture, rather than the black that it was actually made):

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/default/ ... uides.html

You can also use the old-style fences with the dovetail kit (I'm pretty sure). If you can use it with your dado sole, you can use it with the dovetail kit.

Hope this helps.
PFranks

Postby garyfergus@hotmail.com » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:23 am

That's clear. Thanks for your help!
garyfergus@hotmail.com

Postby PFranks » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:28 am

By the way, Gary, if you don't already have an HP6-v2, you should call up Consuelo and ask about the "starter kit". It's not on the web site, but it's the best deal going. Get one of the dado soles, and you're all set (it comes with the new fences).
PFranks

Postby garyfergus@hotmail.com » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:44 am

That's a useful tip...but unfortunately I put my order in yesterday! I think I've ordered everything I need, two bodies, 3/8" and 1/2" dado soles, spare dovetail irons, fence, plus the new, dedicated sliding dovetail parts.

I'm particularly looking forward to the SP-26 sliding parallel. I've got a home made version already that I use as a micro-adjustable bandsaw fence for cutting veneer. I much prefer to have the main piece of wood up against the fence and have the veneer slice away from the fence (this makes the final six inches of the cut much more accurate), but doing it this way requires a mechanism to quickly and accurately re-set the fence by the exact thickness the veneer after each cut. I think the SP-26 will do this job perfectly.

Maybe a better bandsaw fence (micro adjustable, high and low fence with a no-tool changeover, rock solid, drift compensation) is something Bridge City could come up with in the future? If you do put me down as your first customer!
garyfergus@hotmail.com

Postby thecabana@sbcglobal.net » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:04 am

Hi Gary,

The micro adjusting bandsaw fence that would fit your desires is made by laguna Tools. (www.lagunatools.com). They have videos on their site showing thier Drift Master Fence System in action.

It's caledl the Drift Master Fence System and is designed specifically for cutting shop sawn veneer, away from the fence, with both extreme accuracy and consistency of thickness between sheets. After making your first cut, simply rotate the wheel handle with index marks, at however many revolutions or portion thereof, to set your thickness for each cut.

Setting the fence for drift is very easy as well.

You don't have to buy a Laguna Bandsaw to use the Drift Master. It can be re-fit to many brands of band saws. The Drift Master, in combination with their superb carbide toothed Re-Saw King blade sounds like just the ticket for you.

Fred
thecabana@sbcglobal.net

Return to HP-6v2