Tool Chest for HP6 planes and accessories

A discussion about the use of the plane. Also a great place to exchange ideas, tricks, and set-ups.

Moderator: Michael

Tool Chest for HP6 planes and accessories

Postby katalou@sbcglobal.net » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:48 pm

Hello All,

This is my first post. My collection of HP6 planes has grown so large, it is about time to organize them into some type of tool chest. I quickly outgrew a wooden machinist tool box and decided something more specialized was needed.

I have designed the drawers to hold the soles & irons that would tilt to display the grouped sets of hardware. Also, the plane bodies and accessories can be arranged in the to portion of the case along with some layout tools attached to the lid.

I have a background in computer aided design so I will present a JPEG file of a basic concept for this Tool Chest. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have a list of features I would like to see, however any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Lou

PS. If the JPEG file did not get attached, please let me know.
Picture 33.jpg
Improved picture format - case with plane body storage
Picture 33.jpg (78.97 KiB) Viewed 9198 times
Last edited by katalou@sbcglobal.net on Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
katalou@sbcglobal.net

Re: Tool Chest for HP6 planes and accessories

Postby rwest » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:09 pm

Lou,

Nice design! When do you think you'll get around to building one?

Best,
Rutager
rwest

Postby katalou@sbcglobal.net » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:49 pm

Hi Rutager,

Thanks, I have been working on the plane body models and associated parts to optimize tool layout in the tool chest. I might make a version with less drawers to prototype the drawer guides.

Having a tilted drawer on the bottom row would require the chest to be raised so I think a straight pull drawer on the bottom may be better.

I am also considering the hardware for the hinges and knobs and any metal corner reinforcement. The larger tool chest could be upwards of 75 pounds. Also, I was thinking if the drawer should be lockable. It might be a good idea to recess the drawers so a panel can be installed in the front which could be locked in place when the lid is closed.

Finally, I have a design for a little taller drawer so the plane soles can be stored on edge rather than flat. The plane irons will be stored in the containers supplied by BCTW. Although not all the irons were shipped in there own containers.

I will post new pictures as soon as I can get some help sizing the pictures to this format. I was surprized how the first picture extended past the borders. Do you think just resizing the JPEG file will fix this.

Thanks again,
Lou
katalou@sbcglobal.net

Postby katalou@sbcglobal.net » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:54 pm

Hello again,
I have counted 13 different profils. A couple profiles like the V-groove and the rabbit profiles could be put into one drawer. I have made the bottom four drawers a little deeper so the profiles could be stored on the side. The bottom two drawers are straight pulls while the others are tilted. I am starting to populate the toolbox with 3-D models to get a better feel for the overall layout. Will probably buy some hardware soon. The drawer handles will have individual pulls with the profiles so you can see which drawer has what style profile. I also have offset the drawers so a concealing panel can be installed.

I hope these next pictures are better for the format available.
Attachments
Picture 35.jpg
Picture 35.jpg (53.32 KiB) Viewed 9198 times
Picture 36.jpg
Picture 36.jpg (59.36 KiB) Viewed 9198 times
katalou@sbcglobal.net

Postby rwest » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:11 pm

Lou,

The case is really coming around. How about putting a small recess in each drawer front and then you could glue in an off-cut from each profile for quick identification?

-Rutager
rwest

Postby katalou@sbcglobal.net » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:48 pm

It was awhile before deciding on some basic hardware. Decided to put some simple raise panel cover and lid to dress it up a little. Will be checking the detail components and making the jigs to fit the drawers.
Attachments
Toolbox_hardware_cropped.jpg
Toolbox_hardware_cropped.jpg (49.79 KiB) Viewed 9068 times
katalou@sbcglobal.net

Return to HP-6v2