Different cornice sole sizes

A discussion about the use of the plane. Also a great place to exchange ideas, tricks, and set-ups.

Moderator: Michael

Different cornice sole sizes

Postby robertwlloyd@yahoo.com » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:29 am

I am considering going down the HP-v2 path. Can you post a picture that compares the three different sizes available for the cornice sole, along with a point of reference for scale (e.g. a coin or a ruler)?
robertwlloyd@yahoo.com

Re: Different cornice sole sizes

Postby Rutager » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:56 pm

Hello Robert,

I will try and post some pictures for you this weekend, if no one else does it before then.

-Rutager
Rutager

Postby Rutager » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:46 pm

Hi Robert,

Here are the photos you wanted: The first one shows the three sizes loaded up; the second are the moldings next to a ruler; and the third is on quarters. I hope this helps.

A couple of notes: The fences are set to be in line with the cut in the sole, the same way that you set the fence for edge profiles, you can see in the first picture how each fence is a different distance away from the plane because the sizes are different; a lot of material gets removed by these sets, so it makes sense to use a bench plane with an easier to sharpen blade to hog off the majority of the waste by creating a chamfer of an approximate amount.

-Rutager
Rutager

Postby robertwlloyd@yahoo.com » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:36 pm

Wow. Great pics--totally clear, visual explanation. Thank you.
robertwlloyd@yahoo.com

Postby Rutager » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:27 pm

You're Welcome and thanks,

Here's a bonus idea:

I took the smallest cornice molding and put it into a groove I made with the "V" groove sole, I also used the 1/16" round over sole on the face edges. This technique can be used with other edge profiles after you cut them free of their original board!

-Rutager
Rutager

Postby robertwlloyd@yahoo.com » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:49 pm

What is the easiest way to sharpen the cornice profiles? I don't see a matching hone for them. Thanks.
robertwlloyd@yahoo.com

Postby Rutager » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:22 am

Robert,

There isn't a specific hone for them, you use the HS-2 v/.5r crown hone item #1101-284-11(doesn't appear to be in stock, you might want to call their office and ask) to sharpen the sides and then a standard flat stone or whatever your favorite method is to sharpen the middle. In lieu of the hone, I think you could make block and an angle to guide the sides over the stone too since they are also flat.

-Rutager
Rutager

Postby robertwlloyd@yahoo.com » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:53 am

Got it. Thank you.
robertwlloyd@yahoo.com

Postby robertwlloyd@yahoo.com » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:10 am

It is in stock, but the hone for this is under the Sharpening section of the main menu, but is not included in the HP6-v2 subsection for hones.
robertwlloyd@yahoo.com

Return to HP-6v2