Sharpening Blade Profiles

A discussion about the use of the plane. Also a great place to exchange ideas, tricks, and set-ups.

Moderator: Michael

Sharpening Blade Profiles

Postby JohnK » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:17 am

Hello,

I'm getting ready to sharpen some of the profiles on the cutters but am curious about a couple of points. I understand the concept involved and am not a stranger to free hand honing as well as using a jig, so basic honing/ sharpening isn't an issue.

I do have the appropriate BCTW hones but I am curious about using Aluminum as it is noticeably softer than the steel being used. I'm familiar with using a cast iron plate with a grit slurry for blade flattening and shaping (kanaban) but don't understand how one would maintain the proper shape and profile of the hone. Wouldn't it eventually wear down in spots?

I'm also wondering which of the various honing guides you folks have used with success with this system. I've seen the video of the BCTW guide and it looks great but I'm not very enthusiastic about purchasing another guide for this specific task. I have an original style Veritas giude that looks like it would work. I also have small Kell guide.

Has anyone been honing these freehand?

Any special trick to using the rods to hone the various arcs?

I appreciate any insight that can be offered about this process. Normally I would just get going and start honing but I'd feel a little better hearing from some folks who have done it before and are comfortable with it. I'm looking forward to any comments or observations.

Thanks,

John Kissel
JohnK

Postby rwest » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:54 pm

Hello John,

Don't worry about wearing down the aluminum honing guides, there is some sort of "black magic" that someone a lot smarter than myself can explain that allows a harder metal to be worn down by the softer one!

If your guide will ride on the edges of the honing guide and allow the blade's bevel to sit against the profile it will work just fine.

The easiest way to use the rods to sharpen the arc is to apply the paste and work the bevel while letting the rod roll around on your bench. or as I do, a plastic tray(don't want to dirty my maple top!) This technique comes from BCTW, I read it somewhere, but don't remember where.

I hope this helps, Rutager
rwest

Postby JohnK » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:45 am

Hi Rutager,

Thanks for your help on this. Much appreciated!

I'm guessing that it is the combination of diamond paste and presumably hardened aluminum (anodized?) that works the magic. I tried the rod as you suggested using the Veritas guide and it worked fine. I thought I had read that about the letting it roll part somewhere here too but haven't been able to find it. I also tried placing the rod in the groove of the V Groove hone and that worked ok but i didn't have the rolling which seems to be beneficial. All in all pretty straightforward and effective.

JK
JohnK

Postby John » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:30 pm

John;

Thanks for your post--it does seem counter-intuitive that an aluminum substrate can be used to profile steel. Yet, one can sharpen steel on a wood substrate with the appropriate abrasive.

Even if our hones were not anodized, they would work perfectly with the diamond paste. It is the nature of lapping that both surfaces become more like each other over time--and in our case, honing the profiles should become faster and faster as the hone "adapts" to the EXACT shape of the profile.

That said, anytime you would like visual clarity, give this forum a ring and we can produce a video on moments notice.

--John
John
Site Admin

Postby JohnK » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:13 pm

Hi John,

That's good to know about you folks putting together a video for a specific need. Thanks for the offer! The sharpening rods worked just fine. The paste cut fairly agressively yet left a nice finish on the edge. It worked so well that I think I'll be exploring diamond paste sharpening with some other blade types.

The HP-6v2 is a real pleasure to work with. Besides the moulding profiles the rabbet blade with it's high beddding angle is nice to have on hand. I'm thinking of using the quarter round to make up some cabinet size window sash. Anyone done anything similar?

Best wishes in the New Year!

JK
JohnK

Re: Sharpening Blade Profiles

Postby Archangel » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:44 am

I would be interested in seeing more videos for the HP6v2
Archangel

Postby niclas » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:43 am

May I hook on to this topic?
I have ordered a HP-6v2 plane with some blade profiles. So I am preparing myself (mentally ;-) for the sharpening sessions.

I wonder if someone could please advise on what grade of diamond paste to use for this purpose? I have bought the multibead profiles.
Nick
niclas

Postby Michael » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:12 pm

A number 6 Diamond Paste seems to work well. It is considered about a 1000 micron. It cuts quickly enough, yet gives you a nice clean edge.

Have fun!
Michael
Site Admin

Postby john.wishneusky@alum.mit.edu » Fri May 25, 2012 3:56 pm

Wait, that can't be right. One micron is 1 millionth of a meter, so 1000 microns is 1/1000 meter or a mm. That would be sand, expensive sand. So what size works well really?
john.wishneusky@alum.mit.edu

Postby rwest » Sat May 26, 2012 9:51 am

Hello John,

I actually had a bit of trouble finding the information, but on DMT's site, the company that make diamond sharpening stones and the like, they say that the #6 is about a 4000 grit.

Best,
Rutager
rwest

Postby Michael » Tue May 29, 2012 8:54 am

I was under the impression that the #6 was equivalent to about a 1000 grit stone. I agree, it is hard to pin down too. Diamond cuts faster than aluminum oxide or silicone carbide. For profiled irons is plenty clean enough to not have to go to finer grits.
Of course one could use finer grits if they really wanted too.

Michael
Michael
Site Admin

Postby sailforfun15@mac.com » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:05 pm

I can't seem to find the diamond paste on the BCTW site anymore. Any recommendations for where to buy and what # (6 micron seems to be mentioned above). Also, is it best to stick with water-based paste? Dia-paste appears to be oil-based.

I'm about to make two face beads on a 8 foot long oak peg rail so I need to get some paste quickly.

Todd
sailforfun15@mac.com

Postby garyfergus@hotmail.com » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:32 pm

I've got the same question as Todd. With diamond paste no longer listed on the BCTW site, what's the best alternative source and what specific grade of paste should we be asking for?
garyfergus@hotmail.com

Postby Consuelo » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:39 am

Hi Gary!

We use 6 micron paste for the hones, which can be found in most stores such as this:
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/206362 ... icron.aspx

We're hoping to stock a few units of diamond paste on our site by the end of the month for those who may not have access to it in their local hardware store.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Best,
Consuelo
Consuelo

Postby garyfergus@hotmail.com » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:13 pm

Thank you Consuelo, that product is available on Ebay UK, so available without import duties to anyone in Europe.

Regards,

Gary
garyfergus@hotmail.com

Return to HP-6v2