Blank sets for HP-6v2

A discussion about the use of the plane. Also a great place to exchange ideas, tricks, and set-ups.

Moderator: Michael

Blank sets for HP-6v2

Postby JJ » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:42 am

I'm new to this forum so hi. I have been thinking about buying one of these planes. I am curious about the possibility of getting blank irons and hardwood soles. I would like to use these for short run historic moulding reproduction. I now use a combination of saw,router,shaper and scraper for these short runs. I think this tool might be just the answer for this, as well as all the neat texture stuff it can do. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is this a good idea or use of this tool? and if yes are these irons available?
Thanks much JJ
JJ

Postby John » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:55 pm

JJ:

I can't tell you how refreshing your post was to read...

First, welcome to the forum--we are a positive, no crap, group.

Regarding your idea of custom irons and soles---

First, you can make wooden soles, sounds as if you are capable of doing such. Regarding blank irons, the rabbet iron (full width of the sole) might work, but what is best is make your own blank.

Recommend you start with O1 steel, layout your profile (not hard, but not intuitive either--if you need help, write me (john@bridgecitytools.com)--I cheat and use the computer because it is fast. Plane is pitched at 55 degrees and that is where you start.

Now, all that said, please keep in mind the length of the plane (approx. 7") and the width. This acts as a governor for your profile (imagine unfolding your profile into a straight line...when this length approaches twice the plane body width, you are going to have a tough time making shavings).

Again, welcome and lets us know how we can help you!

--John
John
Site Admin

Postby JJ » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:28 am

Thank you for you response. As soon as I can swing it I'll be ordering one of these tools. I'll be looking forward to trying it out.
Again thanks JJ
JJ

Return to HP-6v2