Picnic Table

Reproducing pieces designed by others is a great way to learn. Post pictures here.

Moderator: Michael

Picnic Table

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:38 pm

A picnic table but a glorified picnic table. Backstory….got a call from Jeff, the head guy at a Central Cali winery that I've been photographing for now close to ten years. They bought a building for a new white wine fermentation facility and gutted it so they could put in their stainless tanks. In the demolition they saved all the lumber they could and Jeff was wondering if I wanted to re-purpose some of it for a big outdoor table for their tasting facility in Paso Robles.
He knew I made furniture too so that's why he asked.
I said sure.
Jeff, in his initial phone call to me used the words "big timbers" and I'm getting all excited that the "timbers" were like 4x10's or 8x8's or 6x12's and I'm already designing in my head using big joints and making something real unique.
When I got down to the building to pick up the lumber, it turns out to be, for the most part, normal dimensional stuff. It was big though. 2x14's that were 18-19' long. I scrounged around and found three 3x8's.

In the end I ended up making a picnic table. 16' long. 98% wood joints, I used four pieces of steel to keep the top together.
Picking up the lumber and back in the studio/workshop

Cutting a template on the Woodrat. I used the template to route the final shape and mortices.

Fitting the stretcher and brace

Ready to wedge the tenons

On site now

Before the top gets dropped on the tenons

Finished
paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com

Re: Picnic Table

Postby alleslie@ruraltel.net » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:02 pm

Great design & nice save on all that old wood! What kind of stain/finish did you use?
alleslie@ruraltel.net

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:24 pm

We talked about no finish but I decided to slather on some boiled linseed oil to bring the color more within their existing structure. I'll put on another layer or two later on in the summer and then turn over the maintenance of it to their crew of people.
And thanks
Paul

Postby PFranks » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:18 pm

Very cool-looking table, Paul (sorry, I didn't notice this post until just now!). I love the joinery. Interesting mixture of traditional Japanese, and modified Japanese. Nice lines and proportions. It looks really solid and stable. I could see drinking some wine and eating some good food on that!
PFranks

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:36 pm

Peter,
Thank you. As always you are generous with your compliments. This was one of those "I'll do it once but please don't ask for two of them" projects. The moving of heavy long pieces of wood 'bout wore me out.
Paul

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:55 pm

Folks at the winery had some nice words about the table.

http://www.winelohr.com/post/93351987378/its-all-in-the-details

Postby PFranks » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:04 pm

What a nice tribute to you - and your table, Paul. I hope I get to see it in real life some day! Congratulations!
PFranks

Return to Reproductions