John's Nutcracker

Reproducing pieces designed by others is a great way to learn. Post pictures here.

Moderator: Michael

John's Nutcracker

Postby Cairnsdad@aol.com » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:00 am

I finished a nutcracker. What a great project
Cairnsdad@aol.com

Re: John's Nutcracker

Postby Cairnsdad@aol.com » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:11 am

I tried to post pictures unsuccessfully. Once I figure it out I will.

Let me say like many small projects that look simple. you actually get challenged and learn a lot. First the end grain turning, pay attention to grain direction when gluing extra pieces, otherwise you get a significant emotional experience. Then you learn about end grain, I found a sharp scraper the best way to avoid tearout.

When removing the extra pieces of donor wood, make sure that you are hitting against the unthreaded end (again a lesson learned, super glue is great though). I also found it best to put a couple marks on the top and hold it vertically when disc sanding. Any out of square makes it look like crap, and as John pointed out if you go too deep it looks awful.

I emailed a pic to John, hopefully he can post it. I did technically get it done on time since I finished it on Christmas so my Dad says that is good (I am still waiting for last years from him). I made it out of some wood my Dad had given me that came from my Great Uncle, who was the first woodworker I knew. Unfortunately I never got to learn from him much because he suffered a debilitating stroke when I was young.

The additional ones I have in progress will have to turn into next years present. Work and a bad starter on my old Delta lathe kind of delayed finishing this year.
Cairnsdad@aol.com

Re: John's Nutcracker

Postby rwest » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:03 pm

Hello,

Would love to see those pictures. Check the first section of the forum and there are instructions on how to post pictures there.

I may try my hand and one of the nutcrackers next week, seems like a fun challenge.

Rutager
rwest

Return to Reproductions