An object for my daughter

Reproducing pieces designed by others is a great way to learn. Post pictures here.

Moderator: Michael

An object for my daughter

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Fri May 11, 2012 5:33 pm

I’ve got a couple rules when I travel. 1. Go in the off season…so what a little rain, a little cold…that’s alright. 2. Go with as little knowledge of the place as possible….you experience it more that way, more wonder, more childlike.

My girlfriend and I were sitting in a bar in Jerez de la Frontera, Spain drinking the local sherry…this was early last March. We struck up a conversation with a Japanese businessman that was doing the sherry thing too.
He asked us where we were going from here….we said maybe Morocco, maybe not…don’t really know.
He said go to Córdoba…see La Mezquita. We looked at each other, shrugged and off we went eventually landing there.

I hadn’t one drop of knowledge of La Mezquita and was totally open to whatever it was. It turned into a sublime experience. We walked in and for the most part we were the only people in there….it staggered me, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing, I started to cry, it was that overpowering.

See the beginning remarks about it here. I ended up reworking almost all the miters on the uber versatile and reliable WoodRat.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=326

This is a photo of one of the windows of La Mezquita. It's large and one of I don't know how many….I printed it out and hung it on the studio wall. I wanted to build it. I completed phase one of maybe a three or four phase project. This is phase one.

Too many other photos of it here in the link below and I'll be shooting more in the next day or so.
http://pkstudios.smugmug.com/Woodworkin ... 833_PPrk7k

paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com

Return to Reproductions