Curved Top Jewelry Box in Maple Burl 2008

Post pictures of your original, unique designs that you made. Come on! Show it off here!

Moderator: Michael

Curved Top Jewelry Box in Maple Burl 2008

Postby rwest » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi,

I made this box for our guild's annual show. It won the category "Best Detail" for the Ebony and Holly checkerboard inlay. It was the first time I had used a vacuum veneer press, the first time I veneered anything and the first time I used profiled inlays in a project. It was a difficult undertaking, and I even developed an eye "tick" for awhile!

Rutager
Last edited by rwest on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rwest

Postby PFranks » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:22 pm

Unfortunately your pictures are not visible to me, Rutager. But the description sounds great!
PFranks

Postby ForumMFG » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:50 pm

You know, i just seen the same exact box in the recent April 2010 Fine Woodworking magazine =). Way to go Rutager.

-Dave
ForumMFG

Postby PFranks » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:29 pm

I saw your box in FWW last night, Rutager. Congratulations! Your pictures show off the amazing detail much better than the FWW pics. I'm proud to know you!
PFranks

Postby rwest » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:22 am

Hello Dave and Peter,

Thanks for noticing! I appreciate the kind words. I've been working on a new jewelry box in Carpthian Elm burl and I will be trying out what I hope will be some cool techniques. If they work, I'll post some photos.

-Rutager
rwest

Postby ForumMFG » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:28 am

Rutager,

So, how long did it take for FW to actually publish your piece? I know you made that box a while ago so did you now just submit it or was it submitted a long time ago and they finally decided to publish it?
ForumMFG

Postby rwest » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:18 pm

Dave,

The MN Woodworkers Guild has a show called Northern Woods each year at the end of April. During the show we bring in a profesional photographer who takes pictures of all the pieces that win awards and any other pieces that didn't win, but the artist wants a picture of and pays for. After the show, a cd of the pictures gets sent to most of the woodworking magizines for consideration. My piece was from the 2008 show and along with a couple others got bumped and put aside, and then where found again, which is why it took a while to be published. So there you have it more info then you asked for!

-Rutager
rwest

Re: Curved Top Jewelry Box in Maple Burl 2008

Postby ianfilippini01@gmail.com » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:36 am

rwest wrote:Hi,

I made this box for our guild's annual show. It won the category "Best Detail" for the Ebony and Holly checkerboard inlay. It was the first time I had used a vacuum veneer press, the first time I veneered anything and the first time I used profiled inlays in a project. It was a difficult undertaking, and I even developed an eye "tick" for awhile!

affordable seashell wreaths

Rutager

Hello Rutager,
This is box is very impressive!!
Would you wanna sell it ?
ianfilippini01@gmail.com

Return to Original Designs