Two barstools and two tables from a big cherry slab

Post pictures of your original, unique designs that you made. Come on! Show it off here!

Moderator: Michael

Two barstools and two tables from a big cherry slab

Postby PFranks » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:00 pm

I was fortunate to acquire a slab of cherry almost 8 feet long, 22 inches wide, and 1 3/4" thick. Here's what it turned into:

We had just done a remodel of the house, and built in a "bar" between the kitchen and family room. So of course we needed bar stools. I made two of them, using Maloof joints for the leg-seat joinery. I also made a coffee table and a side table from the same slab. The side table had a split in it, so I held it together with two maple butterflies that I inlaid into the top.

You can see I was experimenting with the legs on the tables and chairs. I was trying to find a size and curvature that fit the pieces. I think the side table turned out the best of the tables (I'll have to post my little footstool some time - it's probably the most graceful of the bunch). The barstools have a nice organic quality to them. In real life they look very slender, but I can guarantee that they'll hold plenty of weight!

I'd post more pictures, but I think we need to figure out a way to host the images on this site, rather than downloading them from another site...

- Peter
Last edited by PFranks on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PFranks

Postby John » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:15 pm

Peter-

I agree, we will solve the pic posting thing in the next week or so.

It would be helpful in future posts, and if you can edit this one, to have your Subject line be more project specific--easier for those who visit and peruse.

I want to study your pieces a bit before I offer a critique.

Thanks for sharing!

John

PS: If you can edit your subject we may be able--it is important. Also, I will ask Michael to post a Sticky with posting guidelines and maybe a video tutorial on how to post pics--it is NOT intuitive or fun.
John
Site Admin

Postby PFranks » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:37 pm

I edited the subject line, John. Better? I also added a little more explanation about the pieces.

You can't really see it in the pictures, but the leg/table joint was just crying out for the touch of an HP-7, which I didn't have at the time. I do now, and I'm looking forward to using it on my next bench (soon!).
PFranks

Postby PFranks » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:42 pm

Here's a nicer view of the barstools (in case you needed one!):

And here's a view of the joinery...

There were 10 mortise and tenon joints in the chair, not counting the leg-seat joints. They all managed to come together at the end!
PFranks

Postby rwest » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:10 pm

Nice work Peter,

They have a very organic flow to them. I really like the leg/seat joinery, what species of wood are the plugs/pegs? Are they plugs, or pegs? How did you come up with the design?

Rutager
rwest

Postby PFranks » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:57 pm

Thanks so much, Rutager. The plugs are walnut in one stool, and jatoba in the other one. I made them different so I could tell them apart.

The design evolved over a lot of sketches and looking at other barstools. The curved stretchers actually curved the other way in the original sketch. Once I had cut them, I taped them onto the legs (everything held together with clamps), and decided that they looked better the way I ended up putting them.

The stools have lots of golden means in them, depending on the angle you look at them from. I think that helps with their grace and lightness. The organic form (you're not the first one to use that word) was not something I was aiming for, but it seems to have emerged. I used Maloof's leg/seat joint as the basis for the stool. After that it was mostly playing with curves. The legs were a further evolution of the table legs. The curved stretchers really make the stools, though. I wish that I had made the back rest more curved (up/down, back/front) - I think that would have complemented the legs and stretchers more.

That being said, they're really comfy!
PFranks

Return to Original Designs