Periapsis

Post pictures of your original, unique designs that you made. Come on! Show it off here!

Moderator: Michael

Periapsis

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:07 pm

I have a patron. She's commissioned four pieces of furniture from me so far. With her I insist upon total artistic control. She never sees anything until I deliver the piece always with preamble of "If you don't like it, I take it away. No questions asked, no apology necessary."

On this living room table, which many of you might call a coffee table, her only words were something to the effect of "I don't want anything square."

I have a real close friend, met him first in the bar I like to frequent. His bar nickname is (and hopefully you all know the importance of having a bar nickname) TequilaJohn...some others call him NasaJohn. That comes from him having a PhD in tequila as well as working at NASA. He works at NASA because he has a real PhD in Artificial Intelligence.

He shoots rockets to the moon, this is his second mission since I first met him. The missions take years in planning, building, testing, blasting off, orbit mantenance and in his present mission, crashing the ship into the moon. So over the years and over drinks and playing music together I've heard all the minutia of whatever phase of the mission John is in.

This table I designed around these conversations with John. The present mission, LADEE, is orbiting the moon right now in extremely low orbits to study the atmosphere and the orbits are running in a difficult direction. A direction most satellites don't take around a celestial body. The orbits are constantly being fixed. It seems to be fairly obvious once you think about it but this little bit of knowledge I found fascinating so I decided to draw my orbits by hand. They aren't perfect. They aren't CAD drawn, they aren't CAD cut out. Just my eye, pencil and eraser.
John says most of the science happens when the periapsis is also approaching the moon's sunrise terminator....ummmmmhokay. John of course needs to explain that to me which is outside my pay grade for this writing but the periapsis is that point in the orbit that's closest to the body it's orbiting.

The table has arcs that shoot across the darkened cosmos, celestial bodies, a galaxy (ok, just go with me here), and multiple orbits.
Poplar because poplar needs to come out from it's hiding place as a secondary wood.
For those that love links.
a little blog entry I did on http://paulkirchnerstudios.blogspot.com/2013/04/my-friend-john.html John

More pics http://cargocollective.com/makerunknown/PERIAPSIS
paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com

Re: Periapsis

Postby Consuelo » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:33 am

Looks great, Paul! Thanks for sharing this with us.

- Consuelo
Consuelo

Postby PFranks » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:20 pm

Ah, Paul - you've done it again! What a lovely piece!

What is the wood in the middle of the laminated top? It makes some beautiful contrasting patterns with the beveled edge. I particularly like the way you canted the arched legs in toward the center of the top. It creates a nice tension at the top, and stability at the bottom.

And, as always, your photographs are sumptuous. I'm envious of your skills.

Nice work! Thanks so much for sharing!
PFranks

Postby paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:05 am

As always Peter, you say the nicest things.

As far as the wood goes, everything is Poplar except for the outside ring around the top which is Cherry.

Paul
paul@paulkirchnerstudios.com

Return to Original Designs